1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Police Helicopter Attacked the Venezuela Supreme Court

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by justgladtobehere, Jun 28, 2017.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Helicopter attack on Venezuela's Supreme Court - CNN.com

(CNN)A police helicopter launched a daring attack on the Venezuelan Supreme Court Tuesday, in a dramatic escalation of the months-long crisis engulfing the regime of President Nicolas Maduro.

The helicopter was apparently stolen and piloted by an officer in the country's investigative police force, Oscar Perez. As it strafed the court building and the Interior Ministry in Caracas, the attackers fired gunshots and lobbed grenades, officials said.

Maduro condemned the attack as an attempted coup, saying "terrorists" were behind the offensive and that an operation was underway to track the perpetrators down.
    But much remained murky about the assault: if it was an attempt to unseat Maduro's government, it was a spectacular failure. No-one was injured and one of the grenades failed to explode, government officials said.

I've had a small interest in following Venezuela current events for a few years since Chavez came to power. I remember reading a prediction that the country was going to be screwed because Chavez didn't reinvest the oil money in oil production, but used it to spend lavishly. Well, the decline in production and the overall decline in price screwed them and the people are pissed.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Maduro has been on borrowed time since Comrade Chavez died. I'm surprised he's held on this long.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Tensions are high due to Miggy's slow start.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They got that idea from Narcos.

5. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Stole this from the Running Man.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I understand the pilot was heard to say "Por que Miguel Cabrera chupa ahora?" before opening fire.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Why does Miggy suck now anyways?

Draft saved Draft deleted