1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Police brutality in Victoria, B.C.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double J, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Fair enough - I'm in the minority. I'm fine with that. I just don't see this as black-and-white as you guys do.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Hard to see something more "black and white". Cop comes running in and gets the boot in. Maybe he "deserved it"? Nothing that happened before the copy got a running start justifies a free kick into the ribs. That is such a p*ssy move, attacking the guy while others restrain him.

On the second one? Guy is cooperating. He gets what 5 knee shots in the back spine (right where the nerves and spinal cord are btw)? Ridiculous.

Police get paid to stand in the line of fire which I do not but this is egregious conduct. You only get to use force when reasonably necessary; that's the standard in Cali. No need for force here.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I agree with you, cops should absolutely be held to a higher standard. My only point with the first guy was that if he took a swing at a cop or physically instigated something with the cops I don't feel all that sorry for him. But if he is getting a shit kicking for being in a bar fight then there is no call for what the cop did. When the footage broke in there is no telling what instigated the first beat down. However, judging by the shit kicking the second guy took, it is an easy jump to make that the first incident took little provocation and there was likely little cause for it.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

And, as I said, excessive force seems to be a hallmark of the Victoria police. This is five newsworthy incidents in what seems to be a relatively short period of time. I'd say that's not just a problem, it's a systemic problem.

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

No argument here

Draft saved Draft deleted