1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poker bad beats RUNNING THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MC Sports Guy, Jan 17, 2007.

1. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

Surely this won't appeal to everyone, but one of the things my poker buddies and I do is regularly discuss our bad beats. I find it be pretty therapeutic, so consider this your place on SportsJournalists.com to vent about the donkeys you find yourselves playing against.

I'll get it started. At my home game this past weekend, I picked up pocket 6s. Flop comes J-5-J, two diamonds and a heart. My dad, who bluffed me in a big way earlier for a lot of my chips, is betting into me. I've got him read like a book, and I push all-in. I know he doesn't have that jack. There's no way. He thinks for a moment, before calling my considerable all-in (after the turn, which was a garbage card). I'm thinking I'm screwed, until I see him turn over Big Slick. King on the river, my night is done.

GRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I love that the ad generated by this thread is CHEAT AT POKER.

I've got a friend we call River Mike. All he ever does is stay in with fucking shit and then he ends up beating far better hands on the river. He'll stay in with 2-7 off-suit, just to fuck around, and I'll have pair of Queens. A 2 and a 7 and a queen will flop, then the fourth street will be garbage and fifth street will be a fucking 7.

"Full house!" he'll say as he flips his cards.

Fucker.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

If that were the case you would win the hand with Queens over sevens, with him having sevens over deuces.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

No wonder I suck at cards! :D

Sorry but he makes me so mad I can't even re-tell the stories accurately.

Trust me. He stays with shit and wins all the time.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The bigwigs at Netteller suffered a really bad beat today.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Absolutely no lie, but as I was driving home tonight I was thinking about starting a thread exactly like this. I've got too many bad-beat stories, but just this week there are two.

I play a lot of poker. On Mondays and Tuesdays I play in a free circuit that usually has around 100 or so players a night. You play for points over eight weeks to get in a final tournament, and if you win the final tournament you get a trip to Vegas and a chance to win a satellite into a WPT event.

On Monday, I make the final table and have 45K left. I'm about 5th or 6th in chips, but blinds are are now up to 5K-10K. Guy in early position raises to 30K and I pick up Qs-Ks. I go all in because that's pretty much the only move i have left. He, of course, calls because it's only 15K more for him. He flips up Q-J off. I have him dominated. Then, I get two spades on the flop, eliminating the Jack of spades as one of his outs. Junk on the turn, but Jd on the river. Brutal. A two-outer!

The next night, I struggle through the first hour (basically folding the last half-hour) but have OK amount of chips thanks to a decent pot early. After first break, on the first hand I pick up Ah-5h in first position. I call and get a cheap flop. Flop comes Kh-7h-8h. I've flopped the nut flush. Guy to my right checks. I slow-play and check. Guy near the end goes all in with 7 thou. Guy on my right calls. I say "enough of this" and go all-in, too. I have both covered by a few thousand. The guy on my right says, "What have I walked into," and I'm thinking "you've walked into giving me your chips." He says "I have a straight-flush draw" and flips over 9-10 of hearts. Right away on the turn he hits the 6h for the straight flush. Another fucking two-outer, and I'm crippled and out on the next hand because I'm the big blind and the same fucker flops trip queens playing Q-3 off.

But none of that compares to a few months ago. In a $60 buy-in tournament, near the end of the first hour I'm slightly hurting but pick up pocket kings. Guy before me raises, so I go all in. He calls with pocket Jacks. I hit a king on the flop for trips. He hits runner-runner Jacks for quads. About a 0.2 percenter. That's as bad as it gets.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If you play low-limit Limit Hold'Em, all you'll see are bad beats all day long. Far too many people sitting at a $2-4 game will play anything all the way to the bitter end. I know in the long run that they'll end up broke, but they never are when I'm at the table.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I haven't played in a while, but I played a home tourney a couple of weeks ago. $50 buy in with rebuys the first hour. The pot got pretty big and ended up paying $750 for first and $300 for second. We get down to the final 3 and I have about 30% of the chips. The chip leader has about 45% and the other player has about 25%. Blinds are starting to be a problem, and will start to hurt in another round or so. The guy in 3rd is not a very good player, while the chip leader is solid. On the button, I look down to see A-Q. Make a standard raise and get called by the 3rd place player. Flop comes A-Q-2 rainbow. Other player checks and I decide to go all in with the rest of my chips (which was slightly more than a pot sized bet). The other guy thinks and thinks. I figure that he doesn't have 2-2, so I have him dominated. He calls with 10-J! For all of his chips. Needless to say, he hits the K on the turn, no help on the river and I bubble.

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

Worst I can remember.....

$20 buy in........pay top 3.

I look down at 7d-8d.......

3 in.....flop comes 9d....3h....10d....

I bet....1 fold.....1 call.....

turn.....Jd.....giving me straight flush.....

I bet.....get raised.....I go all in.....

I show my straight flush to the Jack.

He shows Qd-Kd.....straight flush to the King.

madness ensues.

10. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

I've heard some stories, but that's unreal. Two straight flushes on one hand, and both players using both of their hole cards to make it? That's incredible.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

OK, so call me chazp for resurrecting a thread that's more than a year old. But I'm still pissed about the horrible beat I took tonight.

Final table of a 50-some player tournament. First hand of final table, I pick up pocket aces. I have 52K in chips. I raise an 8K blind to 20K.

Guy to my left has a massive stack. Raises me to 40K. Guy in the big blind only has eight in and has 22K left. But throws it all in. I, of course, go all in with my last 12K.

Guy to my left flips up QQ. Big Blind flips 10 Jack offsuit. Flop comes down, and the first two cards I see are Jack and 10. Third card is Ace. I have a set of aces, he has two pair. I'm worried about a King that would give the QQ guy a straight.

Turn comes another 10, giving me Aces full. No need to worry about a straight any more. And not even worrying about the J-10 guy because I've already got his full house whipped.

The the river comes and it's a fourth 10 for the guy.

I win the side pot of 40K, but the chump takes down some 75-80K for playing J-10 off with a raise and re-raise in front of him. Blinds come to me in two hands, and in a couple more hands I'm out in ninth place.

So, yes, I'm pissed. Pissed enough to resurrect a thread that hasn't been touched in 14 months and 1 day.

12. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Don't be results oriented. If bad beats didn't happen, bad players wouldn't play.

Draft saved Draft deleted