1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Podunk subscriber addresses stolen by metro paper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by North61, Feb 27, 2007.

1. North61

North61 Member

Recently one of our circulation van drivers at our small-town paper was canned when it was discovered he gave addresses of our subscribers to big metro paper. Rumor has it metro paper paid him off to do it.
    Seems like a good story to run and burn said metro paper, but our publisher and ME does not want to go with it, pissing off the editorial departments in our small chain, including the reporter who wants to pursue the story.

My question: Is this becoming a sleazy new tactic by metro papers to try and build subscriber base- has anyone heard of this happening anywhere else?

2. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

All I know is when the ship is sinking, even the biggest, baddest pirate captain has to find something to float on.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

When they play dirty, call them out on it.
    I can't believe North that your bosses would allow that crap to go unreported.

Draft saved Draft deleted