1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PLEASE tell me what I'm missing...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl2, Nov 10, 2006.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I just, in general, hate being alone. I crave human interaction. It's why I instantly reach for my cell phone pretty much any time I'm in my car or anywhere.

Thanks, Buck! I'm sending my schedule for tomorrow. I'll expect to meet you for dinner.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Count me among the few who think the burgers at In-N-Out are a little overrated. LOVE the fries and shake, though.

The burgers are no better than third in LA behind Tommy's and Fatburger.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Tommy's is awesome, no denying it. But that's where I go for chili burgers. In-N-Out is different.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The advantage of eating at a bar alone is you'll be able to be seated quicker. The risk is smokers, but it's an acceptable risk.

And Moddy, I'll raise you an Ayers Rock Strip for a 9-ounce filet -- well done. Outback is one of the few chain joints I don't mind. I actually half enjoy Lone Star too, but not Texas Roadhouse.

For quick eats, I wish I was out east more often -- I dig me some Sheetz.

As far as the book thing, here's something I do. I either scout the location ahead of time or look in the phone book when I get there for where the Borders (or Barnes & Noble, if I'm slumming) is located. You're killing time by looking, killing time by browsing and you get your books too.

In my cadre of frequent stops, there's only three locales I know of that don't have a Borders ... including my own town! ASSHOLES!

It's kind of the intellectual version of another favored pursuit of road weary sportswriters -- an activity called ...

Drag Your Drunk, Desperate Ass To The Nearest Strip Joint, Quality Of Said Joint Being Immaterial, And Proceed To Fawn Over And Drop Ridiculously Pathetic Large Sums Of Money On Barely Passable Strippers Who Would Sooner Kick You In The Nads Than Get Within The Red Zone Of Any Of Your Privates.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Bizness is bizmess. If it's in the budget, I eat out and claim it.

Very few places are annoying about a table for one, but some are. I usually call the management later and/or leave a little gift in the restroom.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I love Tommy's, but that's a chili burger.
    That's different territory.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Tommy's is No. 1 on my list, the Ultimate Cheeseburger No. 2. Unfortunately, there isn't a Tommy's or Jack in the Box anywhere near here.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Last movie I saw by myself was The English Patient.

And if it's on the company dime, then let the readers pay for your five-star feast. Even if you're alone, you never know who else may be dining solo there, too. If that leads to dessert, then all the better.

9. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Maybe it is because I'm a loner freak, but I like going to restaurants alone. Give me a newspaper and a magazine or two and I'm as content as can be. It's only when I go out to eat alone w/o reading material that I feel odd. I also don't mind going to movies alone. I'm never going to see the other 17 people in the theatre again. Let them think I'm an odd loner. I just want to watch the movie.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I agree, PDB. I find an empty few seats and stretch out and never have to worry about sharing an arm/elbow rest. Haven't seen a movie with someone in a theater in quite a few years.

11. joe

joe Active Member

With fava beans and a nice Chianti?

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

God, if I had that standard I'd starve to death.

Draft saved Draft deleted