1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please Press One For English

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dirk Legume, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

I wondered whether to bring this up, but I find it really annoys me and where better to vent.

I was recently at a fast food place (I choose not to name them) and was trying to make a quick trip through the drive thru. I ordered 2 chicken sandwhiches "Plain with just cheese on them". The person taking my order obviously did not speak english as his primary language so I confirmed that they should be "plain with just cheese on them" (quoted because that is exactly what I said). I pull up, pay and head out, but decide I should stop and check as there were some language difficulties. Sure enough, not plain. So I park the car and go inside and there are 2 different languages being spoken inside besides english; east indian and spanish. I tell the girl at the counter that I "wanted these plain with just cheese on them". She laughed, and told someone in spanish something and I heard "Queso" which I know is spanish for cheese. The manager type she told hollers something to the back and a couple minutes later they give me back my sandwhiches.

I check again...

They have only cheese on them...no chicken. So they have to go back again.

I am not the biggest anti immigration guy you will find, but it frustrates me to no end when customer service people can not unterstand what I am saying. It is America for crying out loud, and we speak english here. Please try.

So, here is my dilemma. I am pretty sure I don't want to patronize the place anymore, but am trying to decide if I should send them a letter or e-mail telling them why. SJ nation, what, oh what do I do?

And, a bad song to make my point:

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I'd like to point out the irony of dude complaining about others' language skills, while misspelling "sandwiches" on each reference.

Wait a minute . . . . . ..

[​IMG]

OK, now I'm ready.

Proceed with the thread.

4. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

OK as much as Moddy hates it...I am, apparently, full of fail.

Thanks for stopping by.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Did she have a nose ring, too?

6. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I have enjoyed many a Yumbo Yack.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Plenty of people who supposedly speak English have fucked up my drive through order.

So long as they didn't have nose rings, let it slide.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

It's the franchisee's fault, not the person at the counter or in the back. If the owner cared anything about customer service, he/she would recognize the problem and fix it.

A letter to the owner might be in order, if you want to vent.

9. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

It's because of those damn immigants

[​IMG]

10. rube

rube Active Member

Chicken sandwich with cheese? What kind of cheese?

also ...

[​IMG]
    Chicken sandwich?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'd write to the owner if I'm going to write to anyone.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Also tried to eat there:

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted