1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

please keep chef away from dallas thursday - post-operative infection sucks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by txsportsscribe, Jul 22, 2009.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

Re: please keep chef away from dallas thursday

home from the hospital this afternoon. anyone who says total knee replacement surgery isn't that big a deal is nuts. they wanted to send me to a rehab hospital for a week but i wanted the comfort of home and won out when i was able to walk a distance (with walker) that the doc probably didn't think i'd make. but i manned it up and am watching tv from my own bed tonight. in uber-extreme pain with a really nasty incision lined with about 30-plus staples but hopefully it'll get better in the coming days. was a little scary for a while when my blood pressure was stuck at 80/40 while in recovery.

on a better note, met a nurse who i really hit it off with and may just have to pay another visit to when i'm up and around. so yep, i'm just like most guys who, even in a bad situation, is a sucker for a pretty face and sweet smile.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Make sure they double-check the staples when removing them. I had a one left in my ankle after a skin graft. The infection was not pretty.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Knee replacement is no overnight sensation. Typically, it will hurt and make you wonder if it was the right thing to do for about six weeks, but six weeks after that, most come out much better in the long run.

Hang in there, make sure they get all the staples out and do the rehab exactly as instructed. Take care ...

5. txsportsscribe

so much for a short hospital stay and hitting the ground running. i'm back in the hospital where much stronger meds are being used to try to beat away an infection. this stinks.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Re: please keep chef away from dallas thursday - boo infection

sorry to hear that, tx. Fingers crossed the antibiotics knock it the fuck out.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If nothing else, Tx's palms are itching.

8. Cadet

Cadet Guest

That sucks. Get better soon and TTIUWOP of the staples!

9. txsportsscribe

i thought the same thing cadet but my digital camera is out of action and don't have a phone on my camera. my sis is supposed to be over on sunday and i'll get her to take a photo. hopefully i'll be back out of the hospital by then.

on the plus size, my white count is still too high but coming down gradually and one more thing, dilaudid freakin rocks!! it thinks morphine and hydrocodone are pussies.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

On a drip? Or pills?

If pills...PM me. :D

11. txsportsscribe

unfortunately it's through my i.v. so i won't get to take any home with me. but i keep asking for a six pack to go.

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

There ya go. Like the way you think.

I've got a picture of my staples from my ACL reconstruction and it's pretty cool in a Bride of Frankenstein way. I also have a copy of the MRI sheet showing the sad little ACL hanging there limply. Trying to figure out how to scan that as a photo so I can put it on Facebook.

Draft saved Draft deleted