1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please, just give up the keys. Please.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Jul 8, 2008.

1. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

She apologized and felt really bad about it.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Good. And I mean that. I hope she still feels bad.
    I don't have much tolerance for that kind of thing.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Please, just give up the booze. Please.

By the time a drunk reaches for the keys, his/her mind is chemically altered to the point that rational decision making is not possible.

If you're drinking something stronger than Pepsi, I don't trust you to heed Rosie's initial plea . . . even if you have done so 1,000 times out of 1,000 in the past.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I still remember that New Year's party several years ago when my friend Josh (whom I mentioned in my story about "Go Your Own Way" on the Song Memory Thread) all but hovered over me. I wasn't driving (didn't because I didn't have a license at the time), but he barely left my sight until I finally got in a cab that night.

I always appreciated his concern. Actually, I appreciated it even in my drunken state at the time.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Good thread.

From a professional standpoint, I've seen too many journalists' DUIs written up in their own papers and I know of people on my beats who have never quite lived down particularly embarrassing DUIs (they'll never know how much whispering goes on). I'd rather have a thousand bad reporting mistakes to my name than one DUI.

6. Samson

Samson Guest

It's bad enough to have one of your own written up as a victim in your paper's crime blotter. Getting written up for a DWI?

Not my idea of a fun time.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Which one?

"Dad, I'm too drunk to drive." or "Dad, I got busted for driving drunk."

Or both?

8. Moderator1

DUI. I would have thought that pretty obvious given my pointed stance against drunk driving.

They both live several hours away and I'd still go get them if they called drunk.
    They get a DUI, they better hope their mom answers.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

You can be against drunk driving and still not forgive your kids for even getting in that position. (Not speaking from experience)

10. Moderator1

They drink. And, as far as I know, they have always done so responsibily. They've known since they were old enough to go out to call me anywhere any time if they needed a ride. They were not to drink and drive nor were they to get in a car with anyone who had been drinking. If I was on the road, I would call someone or get them a cab or something.

They know full well where I stand on the issue.

On the night Marcus Vick got tossed out of VT, a VT staffer and I went out to have a few AMF shots. I made my daughter join us to be our DD. She got a steak out of the deal.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Free steak to be Moddy's DD? Where do I sign up?

12. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I'll sign up for one night as well.... Thanks Moddy

Draft saved Draft deleted