1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please Help

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RAWright1987, May 24, 2007.

1. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

* Do not feel as though you have to major in journalism in college.

* Learn everything you can. Writing, reporting, editing, Web design/programming, video, audio, print page design. Believe me, if you're skilled in even half of those, especially Web stuff, you'll get hired in about two seconds after graduation.

* Never believe a story is beneath you. At this stage, every story is experience.

Good luck.

2. RAWright1987

RAWright1987 New Member

I'm an actual college student thinking about entering the business. I promise. I saw this web site on a blog and thought some of you could help me out. I have definitely learend a lot just from your posts. Your constructive criticism has helped and now I am going to attempt to watch my grammar on message boards. I realize that I am almost certainly not ever appearing on ESPN and will start at the bottom for some rural newspaper covering the prep sports that the journalists who have seniority do not want to cover. Creative Writing was my favorite subject in high school, but I firmly believe that I have always wanted to enter this business due to my love of sports and not because my love of writing. However, I was one of the few students who was ecstatic when the teacher would assign a writing assignment in high school. I enjoy writing. I just enjoy sports more.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Creative writing is good. Learning how to handle piecemeal or repetitive writing, how to write two grafs on 30 different basketball games different ways is better.
    Jones is right... love words, not sports.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Best advice on this thread.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

As much as I wish this were true, at most of my stops, exactly the opposite is the case.

6. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Who are you, Martin Luther King?

Please, don't firmly believe. Simply believing will suffice.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

work real hard. you will become a columnist at a large metro writing about the sport of your choice.

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Tom, I don't know why that hit me as really funny. Good one.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

I'm typing with a cast on. Count the errors.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Oh, and in newpapering, short paragraphs are the rule.

And if you are an actual college student thinking about entering the business, you need to get busy trying to drum up internships in or around the business.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, but the cast is on your foot.... ;)

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i was going to work in a whole thing about trenton, but i decided not to ... but wait ...

Draft saved Draft deleted