1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME HOW THIS WORKS?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Write-brained, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Sorry for machine gunning thread topics but my wife stumbled onto this damn site with this stupid fucking gopher and now neither of us can figure out how the fuzzy little fucker always knows what our number is ...

What am I missing?

http://www.britishcouncil.org/learnenglish-central-games-magic-gopher.htm

2. Kritter47

Kritter47 Member

The answer is always going to be a multiple of nine.

XY - (X+Y) is always a multiple of nine. If you look at the chart, 9, 18, 27, 36, et al are all the same symbol. So it doesn't matter which number you start with, he'll always give you that symbol.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

He didn't get mine.

4. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

When it shows you all the symbols, look at how many times the symbol that corresponds to your number appears. It's 10 times, and all on multiples of nine. So obviously, when you add the digits of any two-digit number together, and then subtract the sum from the original number, the result must be a multiple of nine.

5. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Dammit, Kritter beat me.

6. Thanks. I was just starting to figure it out ... I chose a couple of numbers at the same time and noticed that they were all divisible by nine when I came back on here ...

7. T2

T2 Member

I didn't think he got mine on my first try either. When he asked me to remember which symbol corresponds to "your number," I thought he meant "your original number," not the result of the calculation.

I also thought, "What symbols? What numbers?" until I realized that I was supposed to click again.

Minor design glitches.

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

I'm gonna kill that little furry bastard.

Draft saved Draft deleted