1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Playoffs?!!! You kiddin' me?!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by da man, Jan 10, 2007.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Hope this isn't a D_B.

I can't stand those Coors Light press conference ads, you know, where they take old footage of Dick Vermeil and Bill Walsh and Mike Ditka and have them answering questions about beer. But I have to admit when I saw one with the Jim Mora ``Playoffs?!'' rant, I fell on the floor laughing. Does that make me a bad person?

2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

How about Mike Sherman and the cell phone?

3. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

See, that's how you get ahead in life. You have to have ideas. I mean, why didn't this commercial happen five years ago? Because no one had the idea, that's why. Brilliant.

4. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

I love these commercials. I can't get enough of them.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Agreed.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

"Hey John L., you could've had a Coors Light. Your reaction?"

"*slap*"

7. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Or if they did a baseball version ...

Hal McRae anyone?

8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

QUIT ASKING ALL THOSE STUPID ASS QUESTIONS!

This rant lives on in family lore, and not just because it happened in my home town.

My dad's idea of a conversation is to pepper you with questions, so when he or anyone gets too inquisitive, we invoke the second Hal McRae rule.

I think the first one is something to the effect of you need to be within an arm's length of a base when sliding into it, so you can't run out into center field to break up a double play, like Hal used to do.

Anyway, I'd like to see the Denny Green ad to, but the part about crowning them seems to be up Budweiser's alley more than Coors Light.

9. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

Maybe Iverson's "practice" blow-up.

Reporter: Allen, on your way home from practice, could you pick up a sixer of Coors Light?
    Iverson: Man, we're talking about practice. Practice. Practice. We are sitting in here, talking about practice.
    Reporter: Allen, I'm not very good at that "quarters" game. Do you think I need some practice?
    Iverson: Man, we're talking about practice......

10. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Does the Mora commercial mean he has a sense of humor about it?

Or did Coors Light cut a deal with the NFL, or the Retired Coaches Association or something, and they can pick and choose whatever footage they want?

11. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

I would imagine he does since they are using his likeness ... Plus I've heard NBC use the sound during games when breaking down playoff scenarios.

12. Matt Foley

Matt Foley Member

Come on guys, they need to do a basketball one with Bobby Knight, I can see it now...

Fans: So coach Knight, we're thinking about having a some friends over to watch the NCAA tournament, the problem is that we only have enough room in our car for 12 cases of coors, what are your thoughts on it

Knight: This is absolute fuckin bullshit

Fans: really, is it that bad, I mean come on, we we're gonna be watchin Indiana-Purdue for the first game, I know the Boilermakers have beaten us the last few times, but you gotta be down for this right

Knight: I'm sick and fuckin tired of loosin to Purdue

Fans: Uhh, Ok, well, lastly, can you at least come over for a little bit on Sunday, the games scheduled for that day look great

Knight: Now you may be here to get your ass beat on Sunday, but I'm not, and I'll tell you you will not put me in that fuckin position again.

Draft saved Draft deleted