1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Playoff coming to college football? Matt Hayes says so.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Chase, Jan 11, 2012.

1. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I wonder if the BCS was a 4-team process if it would have influenced how folks voted No. 4. You could put Stanford over Oregon now because, really, who cares? But if putting Stanford over Oregon meant putting Stanford in over the team that beat their asses by 23 points AT STANFORD and putting Stanford in over the champion of Stanford's own conference, I wonder if the poll results would have been different.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If we're going to play this game, it's never going to end.

USC beat Oregon and Arizona State beat USC and ASU lost to Washington State which lost to San Diego State which lost to Louisiana Lafayette, which lost to Western Kentucky, which lost to Indiana State, which lost to North Dakota State.

I hope the Bison do well in the playoff. :D

3. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Given that the Ducks couldn't solve Auburn's defense, I'm doubting this.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

This year?

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah I think you're getting your seasons confused. But if we're going to do that, we might as well say Oregon's defense is better than Alabama's because Oregon only gave up 22 last year and Alabama blew that huge lead.

6. BrianGriffin

The game ends quickly. Oregon beat Stanford's ass up and down the field. Oregon won the Pac-12. Oregon should be in the top four, not Stanford.

Again, it didn't matter in the polls at the end of the season because Oregon got the AQ to the Rose and Stanford also got a nice bowl. But now we'd be talking about who gets to be in the championship process.

7. LongTimeListener

There are going to be chain reactions like that more years than not, though, Brian. The Oklahoma-Texas-Texas Tech triangle of 2008 would have ended with absolutely no satisfaction for the masses. And if all three of them get in, along with Florida, then you're looking at leaving out Utah and/or Alabama.

It won't end.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

They need a selection committee.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Here's two ways to do it...

Six major conference champions and two at-large.

LSU vs. West Virginia in the Sugar
    Bama vs. Virginia Tech in the Fiesta
    Okie State vs. Wisconsin in the Orange
    Stanford vs. Oregon in the Rose

Top eight teams

LSU vs. K-State in the Sugar
    Bama vs. Boise State in the Fiesta
    Okie State vs. Arkansas in the Orange
    Stanford vs. Oregon in the Rose

The four winners are the four playoff teams

10. LongTimeListener

Would be hard to base it on the bowl structure as the start, at that point you would be going well into the second semester -- or more appropriately, well into the time that the best players have dropped out of school and are getting ready for the combine. You'd also have a tough time scheduling it with the NFL playoffs taking up both weekend days that time of year.

11. BrianGriffin

That's the point, LTL. A four-team playoff will be almost as hollow as this process. I can think of no reasonable reason why Oregon should be left out in favor of Stanford. I mean, they not only beat Stanford, it was a 23-point beat-down.

And again, picking Stanford over Oregon only punishes Oregon for scheduling LSU.

12. LongTimeListener

A four-team playoff is where this is headed, though. Anyone who thinks they're going to eight or 16 is going to be very disappointed.

Draft saved Draft deleted