1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Playing the royal birth

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 23, 2013.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That would have been the thinking, IMO. But they did put it out front.

You really can't justify hardly any sporting event as being important if you ignore the fact that people care. Ergo, there should be no sports section in the newspaper.

But people do care. And that does matter. Which is why there is a sports section.

And why newspapers publish stories and pictures of the royals.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

But I understand why people care about sports. It's competition. It's entertainment.

This is just ... people with no real role in society getting married and having children.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm not saying they should, I'm saying they do.

People stayed up all night to watch the royal wedding a couple years ago. They stayed up all night to watch Diana's funeral. How many news organizations actually sent people over there to cover the William and Kate's wedding? It sure seemed like a shitload.

This baby will likely one day be the King of England. Is that merely a symbolic title these days? Sure, but that doesn't mean people don't care about it.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I would have ran the Declaration of Independence in full on A1, had I been making the news decisions.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

This is also about a real princess having a baby. If you have not noticed what the common theme is with Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Brave, The Little Mermaid, well there is one, and most women in America have dreamed of being a princess or being treated like a princess.

You might not think it is news, but it is news to a large portion of society, and not just the ones wondering what Kanye West will do next.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Why do organized games occupy a place in the culture such that the public feels compelled to follow their competitions and newspapers feel compelled to give them entire sections of their own?

7. Dick Whitman

I know. It makes me want to puke. My daughter is being kept far, far away from princess culture. I hate it. It's sickening.

8. Dick Whitman

Oh, it's a fair question.

But I asked mine first!

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Why would any obituary of a famous person who has outlived his or her cultural relevance deserve prominent placement?

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

It's to fuck with the 30-year-olds.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Who's Sammy Baugh? [/angola]

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted