1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Play of the Brett Myers story . . .

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BillyT, Jun 26, 2006.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Re: Play of the Brett Meyers story . . .

shottie, I'm a day late, but I heard that crap on Stein's show too. It's fucking pathetic that most people have become desensitized to spousal/domesitc/sexual/physcial abuse. I was hoping Stein would get one more caller defending Myers. I wanted to hear Stein just lose it for once on these fools.

Regular guys like us will spend a few days in jail, lose our jobs, face embarassment and bring shame to our families if we laid a hand on someone to intentionally harm them. It continue to piss the shit out of me that we, as a society, would rather let a pro athlete or a celebrity walk after slapping their wives or GF around like a rag doll.

I have no respect for anyone who does it. As the big guy upstairs is my witness, if I ever pull that crap off on anyone, put me away in jail for the rest of my life. I'm dead serious.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I'm surprised the Globe played it that low because its reporting on the story was very good... graphic quotes from a witness, etc. I'd have put it on the front page of the paper.

--------------------------------

Y'know it's funny you guys are saying this about the talk-radio callers. I happened to have caught part of Colin Cowherd's show yesterday - rare for me - and he was ranting about all the e-mails he was getting defending Myers. He was calling the e-mailers 'mouth-breathers' etc.

I don't want to overreact, but are we going through a little societal phase right now where we're numb toward violence against women? Just askin'.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Yet it's still wrong.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You know, D-3, I was thinking about this today before I checked in here. And Stein should have done more than he did. What he did was to express disbelief and amazement that these calls had been made, and just generally sputter for an hour. That doesn't accomplish anything. What he NEEDED to do was to pick those two guys apart, point by point, and make it clear WHY they were so wrong. That way, maybe he doesn't get through to those two idiots, but he might get through to 50 other people who were thinking the same thing.

This is something that some columnists don't do enough of, and it sort of brings me back to the Telander column on Mariotti. There are a lot of mouth-breathers out there. And a lot of journalists are too high-brow or too lazy to stoop down a level or two and make them see how wrong their outlook is. Sometimes, you have to explain it at an elementary level, but that's what you have to do.

If you just shake your head and cluck your tongue, nothing's coming of it. If something is wrong, SAY it's wrong. Don't dance around it for the sake of writing with a "higher purpose."

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I often feel that way when I'm responding to your posts.

And the name is still wrong.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Another thread ruined. I'm sorry, everyone. I believe it might be time for me to call it quits here. It just isn't worth it.

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Name is still wrong, BTW.

8. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Call me stupid, but I didn't know I could edit the subject line.

I figure a mistake's a mistake.

Wait . . . don't call me stupid.

Draft saved Draft deleted