1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plasma vs. LCD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Turbo

Turbo Guest

I took the plunge with a 42" 1080p LCD over the summer. I love it.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Always plan ahead. While you COULD get by with 720 now...

And J_D... you likes yer Visio?

3. patchs

patchs Active Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/25/business/yourmoney/25TELE.html

4. patchs

patchs Active Member

My wife has a huge three-piece book shelf/entertainment center in our living room.
    It's not going anywhere, so the largest HDTV I can get is 26 inches.
    Bright side, is, I should be able to get a decent set for $500.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Priorities. Priorities.

6. 1080i = interlaced picture
    1080p= progressive picture

In other words, the progressive picture means every single pixel/line is filled. In an interlaced picture. every other pixel/line is filled. Progressive is a little better but both of them look really, really amazing.

You don't need the 1080 in the same way you don't need a Lexus instead of a Toyota. But which one would you rather have? :)

My best advice is to go to the store and spend an hour or two watching the same stuff that you will be watching at home. Also be sure to check out the message boards at www.avsforum.com. The people there are really helpful and amazingly knowledgeable.

7. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i got a 46-inch samsung LCD about three weeks ago. i love it.

getting back to the title of this post, i think no one but you can answer the LCD vs. plasma question. it depends what you like. spend some quality time at best buy or circuit city watching in different lighting and from different angles and distances.

when i bought my TV the sales kid at circuit city says the average buyer spends 12 hours doing research. i probably spent 30, including time spend on line reading, but also with a lot of time at the store.

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I wouldn't bother. Seriously. Factor in the aspect ratio, and I don't think you're going to be happy with a 26-inch; it will play significantly smaller than a 26-inch traditional TV. If you have a finite space that's that small, I'd get a square set that fills it.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I had the same issue and could only buy a 32-inch TV... after three weeks (and buoyed by Costco's then-return policy), I pulled out the center brace, cut down the shelves and repositioned the center piece off center so I could fit the 37 inch model. Thought about the 42, but it would have been too tall

10. I remember last year Best Buy had a 32" LCD for $379.99. Probably going to be cheaper this year. I (and friends) am almost always first in line at Best Buy every year, but about 20 people beat us there last year because of their prices on the 32" and 42" TVs. Luckily I wasn't going there for that because I wouldn't have gotten one.

But the future in-laws are wanting me to pick them up a 42" this year. Got all kinds of pressure. If I get the TV, I get to marry their daughter.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

60000 hours ... if you leave it on 24/7, that means it dies in 6.8 years. Hmmm...

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And to think, medieval suitors had to slay dragons. Whatta buncha pansies we are ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted