1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plasma vs. LCD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Aug 19, 2006.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Not really ready to make a purchase of a new flat screen TV, but I'm starting to do some research and thought I'd pose the question to the board: What are the plusses and minuses of LCD and Plasma screen TVs. Has there been a consensus of which is better? Which looks better? Lasts longer? If anyone knows some of the differences, the input would be useful.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Plasma burns out relatively quickly compared to LCD. However, the resolution is higher.
    Saw a 37" Dell LCD tonight and while I like it, it was too damn high.
    Look into Vizio... it's cheaper and picture clarity is solid...

3. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

I just bought a Samsung 32" LCD HDTV and I love it.... LOVE IT. The LCD's weigh less than the Plasma's I'm told... my TV probably weighs 40 pounds? A big difference from my old television. Once you watch HDTV, nothing ever looks the same again.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Any idea how quick you're looking at before a plasma burns out? Are we talking 2 years, 5 years, 10?

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Tuesday...

Seriously, a good LCD screen should go for like 60,000 hours (they figure 27 years of normal use, but we'll see).
    Plasma is not that much, but not sure how much it actually is.

6. I'm looking at either a 46" or 50" LCD. You can get a screen burn with a Plasma. You know, that logo everyone has on the bottom right of the screen. Leave it on the same channel for a few hours and the logo is there forever. LCD's also do weigh much less than Plasmas.

7. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

The answer is neither--go with DLP. I've got a Samsung 50" DLP and the picture's great. Second choice would be LCD, third is plasma. Not only can you get burn-in, but if one of those tiny tubes goes out, you're hosed.

8. OTD,

I need a side view. The room is 27' long and 16' wide. How many inches does your DLP come out from the wall?

9. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Yes, but DLPs require a new bulb every few years, which can run you as much as 300 bucks.

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I have a plasma and an LCD (hey - I work in TV, gotta be able to see HD.) ;D

My plasma is a Sony I got circa 2001. My LCD is the Sony Bravia I just got.

As far as HD goes, the plasma still has a better picture. Go figure.

Film looks about the same on both (this includes your 'CSIs,' your 'Grey's Anatomy' type shows, etc., as does relatively still video-- think "Sunrise Earth" and other such HD fare.

But as for sports, and let's face it, that's what most of us want to watch in HD... the "motion" is crisper on the plasma. LCD has a little more trouble with motion. I'm nitpicking, though.

Downside to the plasma (at least mine)... The whole TV heats up. You have to keep it well-ventilated. The TV comes with a fan on it, which, in my opinion, makes for less crisp audio. I love the audio on my LCD.

The Sony Bravia was rated very high by Consumer Reports, and so far, I have no complaints.

No burn-in whatsoever on my plasma, but I'm careful with it.

11. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Where you put the Tv also makes a difference. Plasma screens have a glass covering and light reflection can be a problem. LCD doesn't have the glass and will do better in sunlit rooms, or thiose with overhead lights that can reflect.

Check out the difference at your local electronics store with its bright overhead lights and see how much reflection there is on the plasma set.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I know we could throw every name in the world out there and really confuse him, but I've had a Sony 60-inch screen for about six months now that I believe has the best picture, best angled view, best HD image I've seen.

The technology is neither plasma nor LCD; it's called WEGA. Ask about it when you go look at big-screens.

Draft saved Draft deleted