1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plaschke on Tim Crews' family

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smasher_Sloan, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

One of those instances where the reporter injecting himself into the story is what makes it compelling:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/printedition/la-sp-plaschke22apr22,1,445337.column?page=1&coll=la-headlines-pe-sports

2. Sorry to threadjack so early but does anyone remember who wrote the original story for SI 14 years ago. I remember crying at that one.

3. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

Gary Smith

4. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

Only perfect.

5. beautifully written piece

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

outstanding

7. Jones

Jones Active Member

That story's a lesson in more ways than one.

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I remember hearing the news of the players' deaths on the radio. I was gutted.
    It was probably the worst day I can remember being an Indians fan.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I don't know (G. Smith, from reading above), but this one gave me the same reaction.

That was outstanding.

10. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Hated the ending of this one. Just hated it. Way, way, too self-serving for my tastes.

11. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

I'm not a big fan of writers making themselves a part of the story, of course, but there are exceptions to every rule. In this instance, it worked. Well.

12. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

I never much cared for Bill Plaschke while watching him on ESPN. Then I started reading some of his stuff. He's an amazing writer. This piece is incredible. Well done.

Draft saved Draft deleted