1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plaschke is latest to rail against NFL Overtime rule

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 27, 2010.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Kaeding's issues have nothing to do with the stadium. He was fantastic all season. The guy just can't handle the playoffs.

That said, going to the college system pretty much eliminates special teams, with the exception of the kicker. That just seems to artificial.

2. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

The only change to the NFL's OT rule I might consider is to make overtime a full 15 minutes, no sudden death. If you score four TDs in OT, so be it. If you're going to play real football in the extra period, then play real football.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

And the NFL overtime overemphasizes special teams.

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Batman and Bubbler, my thoughts exactly on it.

Bob Costas started this "change the OT rule" bullshit in a psuedo-editorial on SNF earlier in the year.

Anyone who is in favor of changing this rule, to me, only want it changed so that star players like Favre, Big Ben, or anyone else will get a "chance" to answer back with a score, if they lose the coin toss.

Players are not interested in playing longer and extending an overtime to appease Plaschke, Costas, or anyone else.

If they wanted to see Favre get his chance, then the Vikings should have forced a 3-and-out, get a fumble or an interception in overtime. Other than that, they blew their chance to win it in regulation.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I think each team should get one possession, after that, the first team to score wins. You get one quarter in the regular season (or it ends in a tie), and as long as you need in the post season.

That would completely negate the coin-toss argument, wouldn't alter the rules completely (as in college) and wouldn't extend the games to unreasonable lengths (which is a network concern).

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

So . . . who gets the ball first, after the initial "everyone gets a chance!" exercise? And wouldn't that be the exact same as the current rules, just delayed artificially by a Madden Mini-Game?

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I told ya about four pages ago, if you want to legitimately decide which team is truly superior, play until somebody takes a lead of 17 points or more.

Jesus Christ ::) ::) ::) ::)

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I'm all for NFL rules allowing each team at least one possession.
    In some form or fashion that would seem to be easy to pull off.

9. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

If the Vikings valued having the ball so much, they should have done something with it when they had a first down at the Saints' 33 with a minute to play. They ran the ball twice, let the clock run down and threw an interception. They knew that might be their last chance if they lost the coin flip and they wasted it.

10. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

The CFL limits the number of OT possessions in regular-season games, correct?

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Correct, games can end in a tie.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

And it's still a pretty big deal to know exactly where you get the ball. Say the team that wins the coin toss returns it to the 35, drives to the opponent's 45 and punts -- the team that lost the coin toss could be pinned at its own 1. Go three-and-out there and the second possession for the first team could be in field goal range. Two teams each had at least one possession, but one team had a distinct advantage throughout.

Draft saved Draft deleted