1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plaschke is latest to rail against NFL Overtime rule

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 27, 2010.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

38% in not usually.

So if each team goes 3-and-out and on its second possession, Team A kicks a field goal, you still want the game to keep going?

Moronic.

If a game is tied with 10 seconds left in regulation, would you make a rule that a team can't kick a field goal to win?

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I'd rather see an overtime game end on a touchdown.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The BCSNFL likes all the bitching about it. It means we're talking about the BCSNFL.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Nothing matches the excitement and tension of NHL OT in the playoffs.

I don't mind the NFL overtime rule, although I prefer US college system--it's the same as the CFL .

My reaction is that if the team who wins the toss doesn't score on a FG on first possession, they've blown it.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

NFL overtime is annoying when the team you root for doesn't get a possession in overtime.

On no level is it anywhere close to being as annoying and unfair as the BCS.

6. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

The NFL should adopt the college rule. It is the most fair way to do it. Each team has an equal shot.

What's ridiculous is the high school overtime rule in my state - each team gets the ball first-and-goal on the opponents' 10. At least starting on the 25 requires some skill on behalf of the offense.

7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

College rule isn't as fair as it's made out to be since the team that gets the ball second has a distinct advantage

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

OK, so team A gets the kickoff and returns it for a touchdown... 6 points, game over, even though one team never touched the ball.
    But if Team B stops team A, forces a punt, drive 55 yards, kicks a field goal, game not over? Even though both teams had equal chance.

Getting more moronic by the minute smallpo.
    Why should overtime have to end with a TD but you can win a regulaton game by a pint? Makes no sense whatsoever.

Colleges and high schools do not play overtime, they go to a tie-breaker, the FB equivalent of a shootout. Stupid way to end a game.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Lot tougher to score in football.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So that takes care of the next 2 to 3 years.

I agree with Spnited, don't like OT, win in regulation, lose the toss, play defense.

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

The problem I have with the college OT is that a team is in FG position without moving the ball a yard. Put the ball on the 50, or the opposing 40, and make them move the ball a bit before being able to score.

As for professional OT, it ain't rocket science. Each team is guaranteed one possession. How freaking hard is that?

12. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

It's the same concept as extra innings in baseball. Is it always unfair to the visiting team?

Draft saved Draft deleted