1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plaschke is latest to rail against NFL Overtime rule

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

A more fundamental problem is that FG kickers have become too accurate:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/kicking/sort/fieldGoalPct/seasontype/2

I don't feel like adding up all the league totals, but it looks like the median NFL kicker makes about 84 percent of his FG kicks (and 99 percent of extra points -- more than half the kickers in the league didn't miss an extra point this year).

1. Narrow the goalposts to 15 feet (from the current 18-6).

2. Institute a rule that the holder of a place kick must spot the ball no closer than 10 yards to the line of scrimmage (vs. the current 7 yards commonly used).

2. mb

mb Active Member

Dude, did you *see* the playoffs this year? It was one great big festival of missed field goals.

3. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Not really, Piotr.

NBA overtime doesn't end with the first point.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Rules ain't changing anytime soon.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It blows my mind how awful kickers have been this year, even in domes and kicker-friendly stadiums (San Diego, Arizona)

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't think they should change it to college. I've covered a couple of those six and seven overtime games and it just gets absurd.

I agree that they will never change it. The only way I would tweak it would be to take the kicker out of the mix. You want to win, score a touchdown. That might even the playing field a bit, but those numbers from this season seem to indicate that it's evening out.

I have no sympathy for a kicker or a quarterback who fucked up in regulation thinking it's only fair to get another shot in OT.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

You don't want to lose on the first possession...PLAY DEFENSE!
    It's sudden death. By definition, first score of any kind wins.
    I see absolutely no problem with the system the way it is.
    And it is not going to change in my lifetime.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The key play in the Saints-Vikings game shouldn't have been the "heads" call by the Vikings dude on the OT coin flip. Each team should have at least one possession.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That wasn't the key play, so I guess we are all good?

10. mb

mb Active Member

In all seriousness, I don't remember, but didn't a Viking drop a pick that landed right in his hands? Or was that not in OT?

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Yes, the receiver had the ball, and as he was going to the ground it slipped out of his hands and popped straight toward a Viking, who dropped it.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Nobody ever bitched about this until the last two or three years.

It seems like an easy microwaveable column now more than anything else.

Draft saved Draft deleted