1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plaschke at APSE Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I wish I could have been there to hear this keynote, but it's pretty damn good in print ... err, on the screen ... too.

http://sportsjournalism.org/sports-media-news/this-countrys-sporting-soul-will-always-need-stories-that-can-only-be-told-by-someone-willing-to-reach-down-into-themselves/

2. I know some people love to knock Plaschke, but that was a very eloquent and moving speech.

3. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

I was there....Bill's speech was poetry....

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Would be nice if they could fix the typo on his last name in the transcription, but yes. A fantastic speech. I'm unabashedly a Plaschke fan.

5. CR19

CR19 Member

I read the speech off of the APSE website last night. Plaschke's speech was excellent, refering to the past greats of sports writing while acknowledging the issues that future generations of writers will face. He came across as sincere, yet confident of journalism's place in the future. This speech was a terrific piece by a great writer.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Great speech. Big Plaschke fan from growing up in SoCal and reading him before he was a columnist.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Outstanding ...

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Great speech. I just don't think many newspaper editors/publishers who have hacked their staffs and new-age media people agree with Bill. I just don't think they get it any more. They think anybody can write sports and they are proving it by firing and forcing out some of the best.
    Great great speech though. I commend the speaker.

9. Wow. That was fantastic. Inspiring, if you will.

10. Dr. Howard

Dr. Howard Member

A good man, with cogent, organized thoughts. Which is why he's not in charge.

11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

When did editors and publishers ever "get it"?
    You want to talk about romanticizing the past. In general, they've always thought what we do is easy and that anyone can do it, until they throw "anyone" in there and find it not to be true. Where do you think the "toy department" crack came from? It didn't come from one of us.

12. Dr. Howard

Dr. Howard Member

I'm with Twoback. Used to crack me up when our 'Style' section would get all these plaudits on Oscar night for 'great work on tight deadlines.' Glad we never had those -- except like every night, all the time -- in sports.

Draft saved Draft deleted