1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Planning trip to Yankee Stadium/NYC ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Mar 28, 2008.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I would humbly suggest not driving to Yankee Stadium. Unless, of course, you want to sell a kidney for a parking spot.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

$20 to park in most of the lots in past years. Not horrendous. But I would also suggest the subway.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

They're willing to do so if you're willing to pay the price, cheapie.

Seriously, as for spur of the moment decisions in the middle of the night...you can do that and still stay on the Island. If you're staying in Nassau, most trains run 24 hours. Eat the nine-course Chinese meal at 3 am, catch the 4 am back and sleep until the afternoon. Then do it all over again.

I'm steadfast in my belief that if you're on a budget on an NYC trip, staying in the 'burbs best maximizes your dollars.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

It's been years since I've been to Mantle's, but I got that impression as well.

I've only been to Carmine's with my wife, and we've always had a wonderful time. The last time we were there, we avoided the long-ass wait for a table by accepting two seats at the bar. I can see how it'd be a great place for a group though. Always seems to be numerous parties of six or more waiting for a table when we go there.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

This trip will not be complete if i dont get to meet you, beej... :D

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If I were you, I'd get in a hurry to get the Yankee tickets. There are only a few left because of the final season in the Stadium, unless you want to pay a scalper.

7. JLaff

JLaff Guest

Try Hotwire. I'm going to NYC/Yankee Stadium too this summer, got a 3-star hotel by LGA for $80/night.

8. Digging this one back up to ask for advice from the astute baseball fans of SportsJournalists.com: what's your advice on seating at Yankee and Shea Stadiums?

Two of us going and realize we aren't getting in for cheap...so what's the best advice on where to sit. The Yankees game we're looking at is sold out, but there are plenty of options on Stubhub. I guess I'm wondering how high is the upper deck, how bad are the bleachers and are there any sections that are definitely worth the money?

Similarly with Shea, a midweek night game against the Marlins is nowhere near sold out, but I'm also curious where are good places to sit in that dump...which I know is a dump, but I still feel drawn as a baseball game to see at least one game in the place before the wrecking ball hits.

Give me your knowledge...please.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I sat in the very upper deck for a Yankees game last year, and it was fine. Very very steep though.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I just bought tickets for a game very late in the season and had to settle for outfield seats at Yankee Stadium. We're -- four of us -- are going to be sitting right by the right-field foul pole. I went to Stubhub and paid about $113 a seat. The only time I've been to the Stadium, I was able to watch Pat Kelly from the third-base line. Those were good seats.

Really, as long as I'm there for the final series, I don't care where the seat is. But my last choice would have been those upper-deck seats you're talking about, VGN2.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Upper deck and loge sections at Shea. Upper deck at Yankee Stadium. The bleachers at the Stadium are overrated.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

VGN2?

Draft saved Draft deleted