1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Planned Parenthood video indictment issued

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 25, 2016.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I say this in all seriousness: Even if you stipulate that the two people who were indicted were/are absolutely totally guilty, if those PP videos don't make you at least a bit uneasy about the whole enterprise then you're a pretty damn callous human being.

old_tony and SpeedTchr like this.
  2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Maybe see a shrink and find out why you're having these delusional thoughts?

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Your first question is another conservative meme that's been going around the Internets. And the answer is simple. Because they were soliciting a crime, which is against the law.

The same as if someone were to walk up to people and offer them money for killing someone else. The murder doesn't have to happen for the solicitor to be committing a crime.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Your definition of callousness doesn't trump (no pun intended) women's rights to their own bodies.

5. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

It's been established that there is virtually nothing some politicians or organizations could do that would faze some posters.

6. cranberry

I doubled my annual contribution to Planned Parenthood this year because of this nonsense.

Again, there have been 11 state investigations and three congressional investigations, none of which has found any wrongdoing on the part of Planned Parenthood, which provides much-needed reproductive healthcare to millions of men and women each year. Meanwhile, I look forward to resolution of the federal lawsuit against these assholes.

http://ppfa.pr-optout.com/ViewAttachment.aspx?EID=mr9WXYw4u2IxYnni1dBRVsyFeJIuuWQv+tbEt05Givo=

I Should Coco likes this.
  7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I love when these two sides project, thereby talking past each other.

Now damn it:

Quant: They don't see them as babies. They see them as collections of cells. You may disagree with that. I suspect you do. You may find it difficult to fathom that someone may think that way. But half the country doesn't believe in infanticide. They don't see them as babies. They just don't. So, it follows, there is nothing callous about their indifference.

And, Baron, damn it: They believe that's a baby in there. A living, breathing baby. Certainly they believe that women have a right to determine what they do with their own bodies. But they don't believe that women have a right to determine what to do with someone else's body. Like a baby. A living, breathing baby. The fact that the woman's body is a temporary host for said living, breathing baby is barely even a peripheral concern. Nor should it be, if that's your position.

SnarkShark likes this.
  8. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

#CheckYourPrivilege

9. cranberry

And we have court decisions on all of this stuff.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Where was Harry Blackmun's combined medical and theology degree from?

11. cranberry

That's what experts are for. I'm far more disturbed by his Flood v. Kuhn opinion.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'm not projecting at all. Indeed, my position on abortion is fairly mainstream. Just as I feel when confronted by hypotheticals put to/addressed by office-seekers of a certain persuasion -- "How can you support a woman who's been raped being required to bear her rapist's baby" -- I am made very uneasy by the gritty realities of the abortion industry as brought to light by the PP videos.

Further, "it" (as you refer to abortion) is not some thing of consistent quality; an abortion at 9 weeks and an abortion at 39.9 weeks are not the same (at least not to me). The PP videos are quite effective at driving home the fact that not only I but also those neck-deep in the enterprise are aware of this.

Draft saved Draft deleted