1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plane stolen, crashes near SeaTac Airport

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by I Should Coco, Aug 11, 2018.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

From AP:

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Not the best story to hit a month ahead of the 9/11 anniversary. He was a mechanic and he stole a plane. Could have rather easily gone the other direction and crashed it into Safeco or CenturyLink Stadium. None of the three teams were playing at home tonight.

Here's the ATC communication. Those people are not paid enough. Seattle is a pretty busy airport (as you hear) having someone who doesn't know what they're doing with a plane like that whild juggling dozens of other jets. And becoming a suicide counselor at the same time....

http://garchives1.broadcastify.com/15227/20180810/201808102255-590200-15227.mp3

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    Batman likes this.
  3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Where do they keep the keys to these damn things? Sheesh.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I believe there was a Pearl Jam concert tonight at Safeco. Thankfully this guy didn't have that in mind.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

6. DanOregon

He actually completed the barrel-roll. Sounded like he was surprised he didn't buy it then.

7. HanSenSE

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Is there a link to that ATC clip? I listened to that one above but didn't hear that part, just him talking about trying it.

9. HanSenSE

Batman likes this.
  10. DanOregon

There is a part where the ATC says "Ok, now how bout you come in. and the guy said something to the effect - I'm just kind of surprised I'm still here, it's pretty haunting if you can find the edited version with none of the other chatter.

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Cleveland State now has to take a bus for all road games through 2020-21.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I find ATC communication endlessly fascinating, though I'm no aviation expert. Takes a special breed of person. Plus, you could work for 20 years without incident and then you get one effing crazy day ...

Draft saved Draft deleted