1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plane crash in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jul 6, 2013.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I try to watch it as little as possible, to be honest.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Video of the actual crash.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayinthesky/2013/07/07/amateur-video-of-asiana-crash-landing-surfaces/2497305/

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Wow. Yeah, the pilot was WAY too low coming in, which is backing up what passengers have been saying.

I don't get nervous flying, the exception being into SFO, which I've flown into a handful of times in the past year since a couple of close friends moved to San Francisco. But you can clearly tell in that video the pilot was just way too low. Hell, he wasn't even close to making that work.

And watching that video -- only two deaths out of 300-plus? That's incredible too.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And now it's coming out the pilot was in training on 777s and was landing a 777 at SFO for the first time.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

It really doesn't matter if you're flying into an airport for the first time, or the 1,000th, honestly. A runway is a runway is a runway and a proper approach angle looks the same at all of them. Even if he was in training in the 777, he or she has enough hours in it to recognize a proper VMC approach angle.

Something else was going on in that cockpit. You don't let an approach go THAT wrong when people are focused on the maneuver.

7. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

When the wingtip dug into the ground, that thing was about 95% of the way into a cartwheel, but somehow flopped back on its belly. If it had flipped, the death toll would have been massive.

8. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

You should try flying into San Diego sometime. You come in really low over the I-5 and some parking garages, I believe, before landing. It's a lot like flying into Hong Kong used to be.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I've watched enough Air Crash Investigation to know that Asian airlines in particular have had something of an issue with junior pilots, i.e. first officers, speaking up when they see something wrong, for fear of upsetting social strictures. You wouldn't think that would be an issue in a training situation, but you never know.

Also saw where they think one of the two fatalities may have been run over by an emergency vehicle. I found it odd that they were both found on the tarmac, rather than in the plane.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

You filmed the whole thing!

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Apologies for the three straight posts, but thought the language in Asiana's updates was interesting. Seems different from what you'd see from a Western airline; doubt you would get an admission of responsibility.

http://flyasiana.com/notice/notice_en.asp

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Clip has an interview with the guy who shot video wearing a Dodger cap.

Amazing how these videos surface. No doubt there will be one of survivor getting run over
    by fire truck if it actually happened.

Draft saved Draft deleted