1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plane crash at Denver airport

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, Dec 21, 2008.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

This appears to have been much worse than was first reported last night, with firefighters saying it was a miracle no one was killed. 38 injured, only a handful seriously. Jet skidded off the runway and ended up in a ravine.

Wasn't snowing, but it was windy, though that's hardly uncommon at DIA.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/dec/21/plane-carrying-112-goes-runway-dia/

Rocky also got someone's Twitter account who was on the flight. THIS is actually a useful application of Twitter.

http://twitter.com/2drinksbehind

(His most recent update is that the chairman of Continental was on the replacement flight they set up for people who still wanted to fly to Houston.)

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I'm shocked someone actually got the story as quickly as they did, seeing as how that fucking airport is about 3 days' drive from civilization.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Not really. He's basically sending out text messages hours after the crash. 80% of the updates come after he gets home.

4. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I saw the report about this on the local news. I heard the entire right side of the plane was engulfed in flames as people exited the plane. Luckily no one was killed.

5. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

There's a pretty impressive overhead photo on the Denver Post site that shows how far the plane went off the runway.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

One question I had about that flight for people who were on the crashed plane the night before:

You think they still make them watch the safety video?

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The only question now is how much Con Air is going to get sued for.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

The part that pissed me off was the accounts from people who said they were delayed from getting out by the ASSHOLES WHO WERE TRYING TO GET THEIR LUGGAGE.

9. MY PRESENTATION!
    YOU MUST DIE SO THAT I CAN SELL MORE WIDGETS IN COLORADO SPRINGS!
    Morons.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Widgets make the economy go 'round. Nothing more important that widgets.

11. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Unbelievable. See, that's where you have to get your licks in. I might be about to die, but this pinhead is going to get a forearm and elbow in the back of his head.

I'm going Costanza to get the hell off that plane.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Priceless. And I don't mean Master Card priceless, either. Jesus, people, what do we value more in this country, lives or luggage?

Draft saved Draft deleted