1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plain Dealer staff goes on offensive to save paper.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Bold move.
    http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2012/11/plain_dealer_staff_launch_a_ca.html

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Huh. It's almost like the internet is the easiest, and cheapest way to get information to people.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Agreed. It doesn't work well when a newspaper turns to the Internet to yell at people about how important print is. It's no more effective than putting VISIT PODUNKPRESS.COM FOR MORE PHOTOS at the end of cutlines. Any extra support you get is likely a one-off thing. People may be inclined to buy a print edition or visit the website once, but you need sustainable gains.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

For some reason, reminds me of this:

[​IMG]

Take to the Internet to save print by appealing to people's "feeeeelings."

Buh-bye.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Not so much a "save the paper" drive as it is a "save our jobs at income levels that don't work in the industry anymore" drive.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I don't want to cut in on anyone's action, but I'm good enough to work at Chick-fil-A.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

For a lot of mid-to-big markets, my sense for several years has been an end game with half the jobs, at half the pay, from what is recalled as the glory days. Seems way more sustainable, though getting to that point has been and will continue to be painful.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Don't be so sure. They don't hire just anyone.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Have you married any men lately?

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I just like the idea of having Sunday off.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You are correct; I have seen it play out in the Bay Area.

I don't know if this is still accurate, but the most recent mention of salaries in Cleveland that I could find was a Guild scale that reporters and copy editors were making about $1,100 a week as of a few years ago. If that's the case, that doesn't sound like a ton but does sound like a fairly livable wage for that area. (And a very solid half of a dual-income household.) The sad reality is that were they so inclined, Newhouse could find people willing to work for half that and wouldn't have to look very hard.

12. See our print ads online!!!!!!!!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted