1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plain Dealer Indians writers will only cover "select" road trips

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 12, 2016.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it depends on how many they do, but I'm sure there will be some features and other stuff mixed it in to keep them somewhat busy. We would only skip a few a year, so the writer would just get some days off and not build up so many days to take in the summer.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

This isn't new. It's been happening for years.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Tons of papers write gamers off the TV. They'll watch, then call the PR guy and do postgame interviews through the PR guy's cellphone. I've lost some good freelance gigs recently because of that.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

You can usually spot them from a mile away, too.

Which makes it even more pathetic when some "editors" think no one can tell the difference.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Is it that no one can tell the difference?

Or is it that the difference doesn't show up in any tangible way? The bottom line, I mean.

It's a horrible sign of the business, without a doubt. But the business is horrible. Sending a beat writer with the Indians doesn't make the business less horrible.

I would also imagine this is in large part because they are storing up for a long Cavs playoff run.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Readers know the difference. That's why with every cut, you have less customers. If cuts didn't affect the bottom line adversely, they would stop at some point. They haven't stopped. The people who own and run American newspapers are Barney Fifes playing at being robber barons. If some laid off copy editor goes postal with a MAC-10 at some industry gathering, it's only justice.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Almost nobody staffed Wilt's 100-point game.. We're just regressing back to the mean. The go-everywhere, staff-everything days of the 80s and 90s are the exception, not the rule.

kmichaelcook and Alma like this.
  8. LongTimeListener

The loss of customers -- by the tens of thousands -- started way, way, way before the loss of content.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's an interesting point.

And, as I've talked about on here before, it's pretty understandable why sports travel is the first thing to go. It's expensive. It's not really news. And information is so plentiful nowadays, there isn't nearly the same return on investment in being on the road that there used to be. Forget about money. But time-wise, there isn't the same return on investment. As I recently read somewhere, and it makes some sense to think about it this way: When teams are hiring media people, they aren't hiring beat writers from newspapers. They're hiring analysts at sites like Hardball Times and Baseball Prospectus. I wouldn't go so far as to say they've made beat writers obsolete, but the embarrassment of riches that is readily available baseball information has made travel a luxury. It might make home coverage a luxury eventually, as well.

Alma likes this.
  10. LongTimeListener

Yeah, I'd expect a lot more decisions like this in the near future.

What does it cost to send a beat writer on the road for a full season -- $30K? $40K? More?

It isn't possible to justify that expense in business terms.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Does a Cleveland TV station travel to Sacramento with the Cavaliers?

Why should the newspaper?

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I think the argument always was if something huge happened while you weren't there, and the national sites were all over it and you didn't have it, you looked bad. If Bron punches Tyronn Lue in Sacramento (extreme example, I know), that's a tough story to chase over the phone. There's always the arguments about the relationships you form by always being there, but those have been taken down a peg due to the way access has been cut across the board.

But when you weigh that against declining revenue, and with baseball especially, considering the expense, it gets harder and harder to justify the travel. What would you rather have? More employees or the ability to cover the Indians in Anaheim? I think the very biggest papers (Washington Post, Globe, NY papers) will be immune. But not so much the Clevelands, Atlantas and Kansas Citys of the world.

Draft saved Draft deleted