1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plain Dealer buyouts, half dozen in sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jersey_Guy, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Bob was a great pitcher.

He remains a remarkable egomaniac.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

"In more recent years, I did a lot of nostalgia writing, with many of the stories reprinted in the book, 'Heroes, Scamps and Good Guys.' I conducted the Glad You Asked feature the last 13 years. "

I wrote a book review of this for the PD when it came out. Bob Dolgan sent me a handwritten letter thanking me for the review and even noted the one minor criticism I had and said if there were a future edition perhaps it could be changed. A young journalist could do worse than follow his example.

3. busuncle

busuncle Member

I had forgotten about "Glad You Asked." That was my favorite feature growing up, in the days before you could just use Google to find answers to difficult questions. I submitted a question once when I was about 12. Sadly, it was never published.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

One of the nicest people in the history of the world and someone I consider a real friend in the business. And a hell of a journalist. I hope he's going out on his own terms.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Still is. Amazing thing is that the old man lives about 30 minutes south of me in his hometown of Van Meter (I'm in Des Moines). Just as surly and badass to the local guys as he is to the national guys [/Hi Mike Claiborne], and yet fans still adore him like a freaking god in Iowa.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

And a f'n stud, too. Just ask him.

7. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

I think I have the record for shortest printed response to Glad You Asked: Have there ever been any switch-pitchers in the major leagues?

No.

8. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Props to Killick. . . he had this story almost a month ago.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/32328/

Technically, this thread is a D_B

9. Great, great old-school column. Clip this one and keep it. Remember how the old-timers write. Bare bones. No fluff. Almost Hemingwayesque. Pristine.

Love the guy named Cobbledick also :)

Draft saved Draft deleted