1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plagiarism Update …

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jim_Alexander, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Jim_Alexander

Jim_Alexander New Member

Evidently, the blog Sports4Dorks truly lives down to its name, considering their idea of hard-hitting commentary is cut-and-paste.

Here’s the original item:

http://www.beloblog.com/Pe_Blogs/prosports/2007/11/a_little_embellishment.html

And here’s their version, a day later.

http://www.sports4dorks.com/2007/11/30/a-little-embellishment/

I forwarded this to my sports editor, and I’m presuming it will be handled higher on our food chain.

Anyone else having these kinds of problems? (Silly question, I know.)

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Theirs is a straight rip job, but I don't see that the original piece made it sound like they weren't friendly.

Reads like they were friendly rivals.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Did I ever tell you guys the story of how Dean Singleton made me interview for my own job?

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

That's beyond plagiarism, just a straight cut and paste job. Might the sports dorks be so naive they don't know they're supposed to credit the source when they do that?

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Idiots.

6. fishwrapper

Ok. They're idiots. I got that.
    But, I have problem with the motives of the thread and threads like this. Jim signs up, assembles a couple links to show he's been ripped off by a blogger and posts his first post.
    Waits for reaction.
    Waits for the lynch mob.

We all have our crosses. I've been fucked so many times in this business I should've started charging long ago. That was the reason for my non sequitur-ish initial post.

7. Jim_Alexander

Jim_Alexander New Member

No lynch mob intended, fishwrap. I just thought it was worth putting this out there, figuring that others on this board might have been ripped off, too.

8. fishwrapper

Ok. Fair enough.
    (Could have clicked "SEARCH" too.)

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Do tell....

10. fishwrapper

If Satan had a bastard...

11. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Just guessing, but it looks like they are running a feed of your blog (among others) into theirs. Theirs is not original material, but an "aggregator" of sorts. I've seen this with other sites and message boards, and it sucks. Not sure what can be done, but maybe fire off a "cease and desist" letter.

12. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Safe bet. Anything more than a short excerpt and a link to the source should be grounds for lantaur's cease-and-desist suggestion.

Draft saved Draft deleted