1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plagiarism at the Union-Leader (Manchester, NH)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JR, Jan 4, 2011.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Pretty damning evidence.

http://www.backyard-hockey.com/2011/01/04/consider-me-flattered/

And the incompetents who did a cut and paste job didn't even bother to proof their stuff:

From Backyard-Hockey.com, 12/29/10:

Besides the on-ice action, the Manchester tournament will feature off-ice activities for kids, including an appearance by the team’s popular mascot, Max. There are also talks with local bars and restaurants near Dorrs Pond, and the hope is to offer tournament participants incentives to patronize those establishments.

From the Union Leader, 1/4/11:

Besides the on-ice action, the Manchester tournament will feature office activities for kids, including an appearance by the team’s mascot, Max. For more grown-up activities off the ice, the Monarchs are talking with nearby restaurants and bars about providing incentives for tourney-goers to patronize the establishments.

Office activities for kids, Union Leader? Are they going to ask the kids at a pond hockey tournament to fix a printer jam or refresh the boss’s coffee? I’m confused. It seems that in the process of cutting and pasting from my article, one of your staffers forgot a hyphen. It happens, I guess.

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

You're going to have to post an apology when you see YouTube of Kids Office Space on Ice.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Could this be straight off a release? Not that that would be OK either...

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It looks like a stringer wrote the story for the U-L.

Draft saved Draft deleted