1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Placemarker text fail

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DoctorFace, May 17, 2012.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

And the proofers would say: There is no "their" there. :D

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

This, boys and girls, is why you should think twice before gutting your copy desk.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Nahhhhhhhhhh.

4. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

While I would never, ever, ever do this, the first thing I thought of was I hope this makes a few coaches think about sending their stats in in a timely fashion.

Honestly I'm so paranoid that sometimes I check my softball/baseball stories for the word "shit" in case I haven't transposed any of the letters in "hits".

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Damnit Starman, it's bastards like that who have ruined the business.

6. ZummoSports

ZummoSports Member

I'll be honest. I smiled a little when I saw that. Made me think of some of my favorite coaches.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Does the guy deserve to get fired? I guess.

Do I want to buy him a drink because what he wrote is the truth? Yes.

8. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

There have been times when I've been writing and accidentally get going too fast and gets letters transposed or whatever and it turns into a curse word or a somewhat vulgar word to describe parts of a woman's anatomy and I mentally do a "Yikes!" and erase it as fast as I can. As if somehow the bad word I typed will make its way from my screen through the system and onto the newspaper page in the 2 seconds between the time I typed it and the time I erased it.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It wouldn't totally be fair though. One of my co-workers once sent a page with wire copy that involved an NBA game and a nearly-game winning basket in the final seconds that didn't beat the 24-second shit clock.

Luckily, I just happened to pick up a proof and caught it. The page was re-sent.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

There's a difference between an honest mistake like that and leaving pre-meditated stupid shit in a story or on a page.

That's why I never, ever do it. Used to do it occasionally when I was younger, but I've heard too many stories of people getting caught out on it.

11. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

When my editor was working on the New Hampshire-Maine state line, his paper's content system immediate flagged the word "anus," every time.

Maine's governor at the time? "Angus King."

12. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

This is why they are there. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted