1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Placemarker text fail

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DoctorFace, May 17, 2012.

1. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Reporter was fired, and rightfully so. But what's worse is this went through TWO staffers and not many readers even caught it. Everyone - including the readers - should be fired. Now.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

How many papers anywhere give copy two reads any more?

All the copy editors have been laid off.

3. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Yeah, and "15 out 16 stolen bases." Laziness.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Update ... http://jimromenesko.com/2012/05/18/that-damn-coach/

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

You would think somebody edited the story and somebody proofed the page. But then that would make sense.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

At a 3,600 circulation weekly? Seriously?

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Maybe they should, but as I always say when my proofer phones up to apologize something she let slip through, "if I didn't write it in the first place, you wouldn't have missed it." Simple as that.

I even watch what I "command C" on my work computer.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

At the first paper I ever worked, a guy (not me) sent out a page to the proofer with a headline saying some public official was a "dumb fucker." (He was.) I think the page got as far as having a plate made up.

He was suspended without pay for 30 days, during which he quit. (Actually he got another job after about two weeks, and when his return date rolled around, he didn't show up. Mr. Publisher called to say, 'did you know you were supposed to come back to work today,' to which Mr. Pottymouth replied 'fuck you' or something to that effect. He was making like 5 bucks an hour more at his new job.)

A memo was sent out to the effect that sending out any page, even to the proof printer, with an obscenity was a firing offense.

9. ZummoSports

ZummoSports Member

I'm glad that in most cases, my brain to finger filter works better than this person's did. I've had days like that when getting info from coaches is like pulling teeth, and this thought has crossed my mind, but NEVER type it.

When I was in college, our layout guy decided to drop the L from public to see if the editor would notice it. She didn't and the headline explored pubic relations.

10. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Two people were supposed to proof it.

One said, "I am not into sports and didn't finish it."

11. ZummoSports

ZummoSports Member

That didn't even dawn on me in light of what immediately followed.

12. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

At our weekly, which is smaller than that, copy gets one edit, then a page gets four proofs -- minimum. (Yes, stuff still gets through).

The beauty is that two of the proof folks have lived their all their lives and know all the names.

For me, the last two graphs would have said.

Xxxxxx Xxxxxxx xxx xxx xxx xxxxx .

Draft saved Draft deleted