1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pizza in Boston and beer in Toronto ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by cougargirl, Apr 20, 2007.

1. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

Yeah, but with the exchange rate, that's like, what, 14,000? ;)

I apologize--I've been to Rogers Centre plenty of times--good fans and a nice place to watch a game.

2. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Keep an eye in the background of tonight's game. Get those two together and there are sure to be a few rumbles in the bleachers.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Try all four - baseball was played in Beachville, Ontario, in 1838, and American and Canadian football both grew out of the version of rugby football first originated at McGill University in Montreal.

4. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Baseball was first played well before 1838, and most definitely not in Canada.

5. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I thought I heard that about football, but I wasn't sure. The other two I knew. And I did hear/read about the baseball thing, but wasn't there five bases (that includes home) in that first version?

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

I honestly don't know the answer to that. Let's ask Mert if we can borrow his Wayback machine.

7. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Yup. I thought I saw something on it: http://archives.cbc.ca/IDCC-1-41-611-3281/sports/baseball_canada/

Four bases instead of three, plus home plate.

8. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

A city bylaw was passed banning the playing of "base ball" within 80 yards of the meeting house in Pittsfield, Massachusetts in 1791. Sorry, Beachville.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Consarnit!

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Canada invented the Internet.

11. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

Were the Pittsfieldians? Pittsfieldites? Pittsfielders?

12. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Pittsfieldarianists.

Draft saved Draft deleted