1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pizza Hut is dead, long live The Hut

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

McDonald's has always done coffee. But it also realized that its customers' tastes had grown more sophisticated, and that their cashload was smaller. McDonald's has got Starbucks in knots right now.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Funny, I've also had Nathan's Hot Dogs and Pizza at Subway...

3. wrong

right

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

It already is in my house. As in "where do you go after eating ..."

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

This is the same holding company that abandoned Kentucky Fried Chicken in favor of KFC and which now seems to be trying to change KFC into Kentucky Grilled Chicken.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

This is a no brainer move for the Hut. Haven't you seen all the people from Italy going gaga over their pasta? In a couple years, they probably won't even sell pizza.

On the McDonalds coffee, they benefited from absolute perfect timing in terms of the recession/economic downturn. If the economy had still been going great guns, people wouldn't have even noticed McD's gourmet cafe, and would have continued their daily march to the local Starbucks.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I agree with all of the above 100 percent nobody in their right mind who likes pizza would think that Pizza Hut is good or decent pizza. The only pizza worse than Pizza Hut is Dominos and Poppa John's is borderline worse.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Thinking about it, I would bet their bigger problem is the sit-down restaurant part of their business. The whole casual dining sector is getting walloped by the recession. Domino's and Papa John's don't have to carry that expense load.

9. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Does anyone actually get pasta from Pizza Hut? Grilled chicken alfredo, meaty marinara, mac-n-cheese...you can make that stuff yourself, easily. Or bake a big frozen dinner that'll probably taste just the same (unlike the difference between frozen pizza and delivered).

I'm fine with Pizza Hut/Domino's when hammered. Papa John's was better in the late 90s, but they screwed up their sauce.

10. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Yup. Pizza Hut a few blocks away looks like they're doing OK on takeout/delivery, but the restaurant side is always pretty much always abandoned. And they've got to staff those positions, keep the buffet fresh (in theory), etc.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You can make anything yourself. I learned to make pizza from scratch not that long ago and was surprised at how easy it was, and it's the best pizza I've ever had.

You don't go out for better food, you go out for the convenience.

12. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I'm getting so sick of companies changing their name to seem more hip. "The Hut" is stupid. Just like National Geographic Channel calling themselves NatGeo is stupid.

Whatever happened to just good old-fashioned tradition? You go to Europe or anywhere "across the pond" and you see buildings that have been standing for hundreds of years, businesses that have been around for generations, history is all around you. What do we do in America? Anything that has a link to the past, we try to modernize it instead of appreciate its place in history. We tear down historical monuments, then put up a plaque in its place.

Ugh. Sorry about that, rant over.

Draft saved Draft deleted