1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pittsburgh's mayor dies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dude, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06244/718427-100.stm

Only a few on here might care, but Pittsburgh's mayor died tonight.

He's being replaced by the president of City Council, a 26-year-old guy.

RIP.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

3. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

Yup, I have friend I graduated high school with that played college ball with him.

4. Inky_Wretch

When I was 26, my major concerns were making ends meet from paycheck to paycheck, getting drunk six nights per week and getting laid. I simply can't imagine being in charge of a major city at that age.

5. Jones

Jones Active Member

That's a good feature set-up if I ever saw one.

6. Inky_Wretch

Pitch that idea to Esquire. Schedule the interviews around a Stillers game and I'll hit town to put Iron City beers on your expense account hang out.

7. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

He's been on City Council since he was 23 or so. At that age I was still worrying about recruiting on NCAA 2003 for Playstation. Heck, I'm still worrying about it now.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Isn't this the guy who shitcanned a couple of staffers because they got more interested in jockeying for postmortem position than they were in doing their jobs?

RIP, Your Honor.

9. Jones

Jones Active Member

That sounds like a good plan, especially the part about the beer.

10. patchs

patchs Active Member

He won't have any problem getting chicks --- or Steeler tickets -- anymore.

11. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

O'Connor didn't come off as your typical political slimeball -- he seemed a genuinely nice guy. Took bad he couldn't see his plan come to fruition.

Diagnosed in July. Dead the first day of September. God, cancer's a fucking bastard. RIP, sir...you did Pittsburgh proud.

As for the kid mayor: Dude's making us fellow 26-year olds look bad. I have trouble brushing my teeth twice a day. I don't like tying my shoes. And I'm not familiar with mayoral policy, either, unless it involves a beef patty and a top hat.

[​IMG]

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

When you read stuff like this it makes you think twice about holding a cell phone up to your head.

Draft saved Draft deleted