1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pittsburgh Trib-Review, Steelers Beat Writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Claws for Concern, Jul 18, 2006.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Not sure how reliable this is, but I read on another board that Kevin Gorman is filling in until somebody is permanently hired. Gorman's good enough to take the job and run with it if he gets a real shot.

2. Vern S.

Vern S. New Member

Wexell's a machine. He's been covering the team for more than 11 years. He has the connections and knows where to find the stories. The draft seems to be his forte. The draft nuggets he does for 970 every year are solid and he seems to correctly predict the Steelers' first round pick nearly every year, which proves how thorough he is in getting his information. He's also very informative on the radio and TV, which is something you have to be when you have a high-profile beat like the Steelers. I think he'd a be great choice.

3. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Gorman was my initial thought, as well. He's been doing preps long enough there (probably since when I left Pittsburgh) and deserves a shot. Hopefully he's thrown his name in the applicants pool.

4. JuneBug1

JuneBug1 Member

Gorman will be the Pitt football guy this year....mark it in stone.

5. outofplace

That would make a lot of sense. It's a better fit for Gorman than the Steelers (takes advantage of his skill as a recruiting reporter) and he should have been on Pitt when it came open last year.

6. angrymanatee

angrymanatee New Member

Any news on where they are in the search for this job?

7. outofplace

They are in the interview stage, but I'm not so sure it'll be this week. Makes sense to take the time to get it right at this point since the new guy's going to be behind no matter what.

8. angrymanatee

angrymanatee New Member

Anything new here?

9. sportznut

sportznut New Member

I heard someone was hired. Is that true?

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yes, from what i understand they hired a true sportznut ... no other qualifications needed.

11. Running Bear

Running Bear Member

Seriously, did they hire somebody?

12. Seriously, they did. I won't be the first to mention names though.

Draft saved Draft deleted