1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pittsburgh Trib debacle

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WordMP, Jan 21, 2007.

1. You know this is probably what happened: Prisuta got a high-ranking source in the Steelers organization on the phone and asked him to hang up if the new coach was Grimm or stay on the line if it was Tomlin ...

Worked for Bernstein, right?

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I can't believe there are some people actually trying to pooh-pooh this was just a "mistake" or even the ridiculous "Steelers purposely misled" Prisuta -- who is the No. 1 cheerleader of the Steelers in the media in Pittsburgh without a close second, which is saying something given the gushing reviews all things Steelers get in that town -- stuff that I'm reading.

This was much more than a mistake. This was a disaster by the Tribune-Review to say the least.

And it all could have been avoided had the guy who wrote the story left himself some wiggle room in case his source was wrong.

Instead-- he went the whole way and it ended up on A-1 of the Sunday paper -- and was wrong. That's a bad gamble to take on a beat as high-profile as that.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I can. As long as everyone keeps the standards nice and low, things are fine.

4. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

he's making about $800-$900 a week.
    and every mistake is aired in public - potentially fireable.

while most bozos earning three times as much make mistakes nobody ever knows or cares about.

great job. a maximum of risk for a minimum of reward. requires the ethics and purity of a priest, and a vow of poverty, and for every mistake, somebody wants to hang you. great fucking job.

5. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

He's making THAT MUCH a week at the Trib?

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Or combined between his dual commitments of the Trib and morning sports guy on WDVE. ('DVE, your home for Molly Hatchet)

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

HenryHecht -- Are you kidding?

It is one thing to make a mistake -- everyone makes them. I

It is totally something different to write something THAT IS NOT TRUE before really dotting the i's and crossing the t's -- mostly because you want to be first.

That's called irresponsible and it undermines the credibility of all of us.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I'm not buying it, either, because that's simply not how the Rooneys do business.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

As opposed to those jobs like....

"Police and sheriff’s patrol officers had median annual earnings of $45,210 in May 2004. The middle 50 percent earned between $34,410 and $56,360. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $26,910, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $68,880."

It's a cruel world, Henry.

10. Another Pittsburgh sports thread.
    No mention of that Madden guy yet.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

If there was no offer ever made to Grimm, The Steelers need to publicly mention that and cut the "we're indecisive" spin by the Trib.
    This sounds like to me it was a mistake that was made and yet the Trib is trying to find ways to point the finger everywhere else but at themselves. And using the Steelers that way is unfair and unprofessional.
    Should Dan Rooney publicly address this at the press conference today, I think it'd be smart.
    Also, I'd like to see someone else have the cajones to ask in the conference if there is any truth their original story or the spin they are putting on it.

12. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

law enforcement officers earn a ton of overtime and paid details - most of them double their base salary.

besides, i'm not talking about them - they earn it - and sometimes get shot at - they deserve more money.

how about a junior accounting associate - earning 65k-75k at a decent firm - working in anonymity - no public airing of mistakes - nice cushy job with regular hours.

zagoshe - he was under pressure "to be first" - it's not like he wanted to rush out there with bad info - but if he gets beat that's another strike against him - a few of those and he walks the plank - same outcome

it's a cruel and thankless job - maximum risk and minimum reward

Draft saved Draft deleted