1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pittsburgh Trib debacle

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WordMP, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

Kevin Gorman of the Trib is on a local Sunday night round-table sports show now. They asked him what happened with the Grimm story and he claimed the Steelers changed their minds and did a 180 in one day and offered the job to Tomlin.

So basically the Trib is throwing the Steelers under the bus on this.

2. WordMP

WordMP New Member

I don't think the Rooneys have a history of changing their minds.

3. It'll be interesting to see how the paper addresses it tomorrow.

By the way, here's a blog (gasp) that summarizes the events pretty well: http://thepojodojo.blogspot.com/2007/01/steeler-saga-continues-chris-mortenson.html

4. As far as who's head rolls, it really depends. The reporter is definitely in hot water, unless he can prove that the team really changed its mind. Editor's have a bit more cushion. They can always just blame it on the reporter, even though he was probably whipping the reporter for a story. Editors seem to get away with that more often than not.

5. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

I'm not buying Gorman's company line.

For some more insight, check this one out:

http://www.voy.com/158430/

6. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

Interestingly enough, after Gorman gave the explanation, the host asked him, "So that's what happened?"

Gorman, "That's what I was told."

Not word-for-word. But I'm paraphrasing.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Bet my car against yours that nothing happens within that department.

8. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised too if something happened. The publisher doesn't give a fuck about sports.

9. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

If I know Dick Scaife and the Pgh Trib, I'm sure this will all be blamed on Bill Clinton.

Seriously, I would bet a testicle that nothing happens. I'm with BYM.

10. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

I wouldn't be surprised if nothing happened - hell, I've seen similar situations on a smaller scale play out in that nothing happens to the reporter. However, I'd go into hiding for a few days had it been my byline on that kind of story.

11. i wouldn't. then you're a weasel.

you show up at the next event in town, penguins game, pitt hoops - i don't care what it is - and take it like a man

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

You could argue that things are now even at the Pittsburgh newspapers, considering how Chuck Finder and the P-G mishandled the Rich Rodriguez to Alabama story. To Finder's credit however, half of the people covering that story had Rich going to Bama.

Draft saved Draft deleted