1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pittsburgh travel advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

I enjoyed my only trip to Fat Head's Pittburgh (same with their Cleveland location). Solid, non-fancy food and good brew (if you enjoy hops, a must-try is the Head Hunter IPA).

Primanti's sandwich was fine, once I took the fries off.

Edit: Ruh Roh....BEER SNOB ALERT!!!! [/crossthread]

2. mjp1542

mjp1542 Member

Then the good ol'fashioned Pittsburgh Fish Fry mentioned early is a great call. The sandwich will be huge and tasty, and the handmade pierogies and homemade haluski are good ethnic stuff, considering the amount of Polish and Slovak influence in those parts.

The Church Brew Works is not far from Downtown. A brewery/restaurant in an old church isn't something you see every day.

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Yeah, since you're there during Lent, you need to find a fish fry. And damn, do I ever wish I had some homemade pierogies.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I do like Fat Head's, but I never liked dealing with the traffic on the South Side. I agree with Smasher on Primanti's. Don't bother.

I'm just looking forward to Mineo's when I go for a visit next month.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I had a Primanti's sandwich when I went to PNC a few years ago. The idea is certainly better than the execution.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Primanti's at Heinz/PNC are some of the worst imitations I've seen. Oddly enough, the Quaker Steak and Lube wings at the stadiums are better than the ones at the restaurant (I think). Make sure you walk across the street from the Consol Energy Center and snap a few photos of the carcass of the Civic Arena, which was never built for the purpose of sports and was the first retractable roof facility in the US.

7. Quakes

Quakes Guest

Just to clear up a potential misunderstanding, the Strip District -- which mjp1542 mentioned -- is not a district full of strip clubs (as far as I know).

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Oh, I know. I just forgot to mention that in the original post.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

If you're driving in the city, you will likely make a wrong turn (or exit) somewhere and end up a bit lost. GPS won't help.

Strip district has good eats. Parking is also a breeze there.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Fish sandwich and a beer at the Oyster House in Market Square. Guaranteed I'll stop by this week.

Bettis's bar and restaurant, which is over near Heinz Field, will be mobbed with out-of-town hoops fans this week. The food there isn't going to win any awards, but it's not bad at all and the place has a gazillion TVs.

Vincent's is the best pizza in the city. Not sure how many locations they still have.

I'll wave to you on press row; I wish I could remember what section my seats are in.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Oh, we are in Lent. Yes to the fish and everything mentioned.

Just read Dre's post. Sorry.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It's tough to find, but get the pancakes. Get the pancakes. Get the pancakes.

It's like eating cake and cookies for breakfast.

If you like railroad trains...

http://www.carnegiesciencecenter.org/

3:30 mark for fish sandwiches.

And go to a store and get some fresh Italian bread in the morning. Mancini's in the Strip will do just fine.

Draft saved Draft deleted