1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pittsburgh Steelers all-time team

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, Oct 25, 2007.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I know there is a large contigent of Steelers fans on here so enjoy....

QB: Terry Bradshaw
    RB: Franco Harris, Rocky Bleier, Jerome Bettis
    TE: Bennie Cunningham, Elbie Nickel
    WR: Lynn Swann, John Stallworth, Hines Ward
    OL: Larry Brown, Dermontti Dawson, Alan Faneca, Tunch Ilkin, Jon Kolb, Mike Webster
    PK: Gary Anderson
    DL: Joe Greene, L.C. Greenwood, Casey Hampton, Ernie Stautner, Dwight White
    LB: Jack Ham, Jack Lambert, Greg Lloyd, Joey Porter, Andy Russell
    DB: Mel Blount, Jack Butler, Carnell Lake, Troy Polamalu, Donnie Shell, Rod Woodson
    P: Bobby Walden

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_534410.html

I personally think you could make an argument for Louis Lipps over Ward and I think you could make a case for either Mike Merriweather, maybe even Levon Kirkland or Hardy Nickerson over Joey Porter. Other than that, I think it is pretty good.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

What's cool is how many of those guys were teammates.

3. zagoshe

Here is a good question -- do you think Troy Polamalu (sp?) should be on this team?

And you are right, those 70's teams were down right scary they were so good.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

Awesome, another Steelers thread!

Tunch Ilkin is the greatest name ever.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I saw this earlier today. Don't really have any big problems with the list.

I don't think you can you put Louis Lipps ahead of Hines Ward. Lipps had a fantastic start to his career. The team's run-oriented approach and crappy quarterbacking kept his numbers down, but he was one of the top five receivers in the game in 1985.

After that, he just couldn't stay healthy. He had some decent seasons, but he didn't sustain his level of play like Ward.

I can see the argument for Merriweather, but he was only a Steeler for six seasons and he wasn't the leader that Porter was. Kirkland is a tougher call. He was a beast before he ate his way out of town and he was the best defensive player on the field in Super Bowl XXX

I'd probably go with Kirkland, but I have no problem with Porter being there. Better yet, take only one tight end and give Bennie Cunningham's spot to one of those two guys.

Zag, who do you think should be on instead of Polamalu?

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Looking over list Mike Wagner is the only player that jumps out as missing from list. For one year Ernie Holmes was great but did not sustain it.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Getting knocked out cold by Otis Wilson during that season might have had something to do with the post-85 decline.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Where the fuck is Slash?

9. zagoshe

Not sure about Polamalu, it just doesn't seem like he has played for a long enough period of time yet to be considered on here.

I will say this -- I think one of the tight ends should be cut and Barry Foster should be added. He had a short career, but he was as good, if not better, than Bettis when he was healthy.

10. outofplace

Not really. Lipps had problems keeping his legs healthy, particularly hamstring pulls, as well as some off-field issues.

And Boom, Wagner is the one who popped into my head as possibly deserving of Polamalu's spot.

Zag, in 1992 Barry Foster was as good as any back the Steelers ever had not named Franco Harris. But that was his only 1,000-yard season. If Willie Parker stays healthy, he will pass Foster's career rushing total this season.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Wagner and Glenn Edwards

12. outofplace

Boom, I could see either one over Polamalu, though neither was asked to do all the things the current Steelers ask of Polamalu.

"Pine" Edwards was tremendously physical safety. One of many reasons that defense in the '70s just beat the hell out of the opposition.

Draft saved Draft deleted