1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pittsburgh, Pirates and Pints

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Heading to Pittsburgh next week. Are tickets for the Pirates readily available and cheap? Would I be better off buying good seats online ahead of time or just buying some off the street?

Also, anywhere decent to go for a drink around the park?

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I was in Pittsburgh last weekend with the kids. Great city, friendly folks, my kind of town. You'll love PNC Park.

Take the boat to and from Station Square on the Mt. Washington side of the Monogehela River over to PNC Park. Plenty of bars there it seemed, though I wasn't drinking with the kids in tow.

I'm pretty sure Squirrel Hill has its share.

3. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

What day are you headed there?

4. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Tuesday night till Friday. Not there very long.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'd get the tickets online ahead of time. You might be able to get decent walk-up seats depending on the day and if there are any promotions (Pittsburghers love fireworks night), but you can't always count on it. I always get 'em ahead of time, but that's just my preference.

The Park House isn't far. Tends to be a bit of a local media hangout.

You can walk to the Clark Bar. It's just a couple of blocks away. Walk out the press gate and you can see the building. It's got a big Pittsburgh Tribune-Review sign on the top (I forget if you can see it from street level.) The Trib's offices are in the building, too.

I'm sure others who drink more than me can be a better help.

Though Squirrel Hill isn't where I'd go from there to drink. If you're going to drive a little bit, go to the South Side (where the aforementioned Station Square is located).

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You may need to get drunk before you watch them. A proud franchise in a 14-year tailspin.

7. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

You're out of luck. Every game the rest of the season sold out. And nobody in Pittsburgh drinks. It's a dry city.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

You can usually get tickets the night of, in just about any section you want, especially if its a game in the middle of the week. For drinking, I'd recommend the South Side (you couldn't walk there, but its the best area of the city to drink) and definitely not Squirrel Hill.

9. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

It's a squirrel's world, he's just trying to get a nut.

10. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

don't forget Firewater right across the street from PNC Park, fun bar with hot waitresses, other than that I highly recomend the South Side, plenty of cool bars and a great place to get a Primanti Bros sandwhich

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Why the hatred for Squirrel Hill?

My Pittsburgh geography is off, and I think it's a bit of a drive from the park. Still, some nice, cool places down at way and at.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This made me laugh harder than some very subtle, witty things I have read on here.

Draft saved Draft deleted