1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pittsburgh area fitness center massacre Part 2

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I agree. But there should be stricter laws regarding the types of guns manufactured, the access to the guns that are manufactured, as well as enforcement of current restrictions like gun locks, gun safes, ammunition limits, etc. These restrictions do not have to conflict with the Second Amendment.

2. Oh there is a reason for the lax gun laws ... NRA lobbyists.

Not sure about the puffer fish-gun analogy though.

3. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I can understand the first part of that analogy about a puffer fish not being a great pet, but not exactly sure the restaurant analogy can apply here.

There are plenty of people who hold guns for recreational or safety reasons, and they're safe about it.

One of my good friends' has a gun he uses for protection in his house, but it's kept in a drawer that is locked, and only he knows where the key is kept.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

How do you stop someone that's been crime-free for 48 years like Sodini was from getting access to guns though? Keep in mind I'm not pro or anti-gun. I try and listen to both sides of the argument.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The White House could set up an e-mail where people could send in when their friends or acquaintances have insane rantings on their blogs or web sites.

{/crossthread}

6. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I wish there was a way to answer that because nowadays any idiot can go and buy a gun then shoot up the local conveinant store down the block.

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I think you start by asking him what he wants it for. Then you cross-check to see if he has or has applied for a hunting license, a membership at the local shooting range, a concealed carry permit or a household "locked in a drawer" permit. You also cross-check to see how many guns this individual has purchased and if they are suitable for his intended purpose. The Second Amendment does not grant the right to build a personal arsenal, IMHO.

It's not foolproof; there will always be accidents even among the safest, most well-intended users. But we've got to do better than what we're doing now.

8. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Zag wrote a gun can't hurt a soul unless some "looney" picks it up and fires it. I would not label a curious child who might think he/she is playing with a toy a looney anything.

9. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

"You know what we need? We need some bullet control." ~ Chris Rock

(NSFW)

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Seems to work fine in Japan (0.07 gun deaths per 100,000 people, vs. U.S. rate of 13.47 per 100,000).

So either it works . . . or Japan simply houses an incredibly advanced species of human being than the United States.

Take your pick.

11. Can we just skip ahead ...

Is not.
    Or nu-uh.

Might save somebody a few posts and knock off a couple of pages of what has become an age-old debate that quickly morphs into a pissing match.

12. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted