1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pitchfork names its top 200 songs of the 1960s

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MankyJimy, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I've only skimmed the list 1-60.

A few I don't agree with, but I don't think there are too many "Whatthefuckareyouinsanegetthefuckoutofhereyourefullofshit" selections. Most everything is at least logically supportable. (Except for "I Want You Back," which is a nice song, but ... :eek: :eek:)

I'd go with more Beatles higher on the list, and more Stones.

Just re-read the intro:

The exact equivalent of the rule that there must be a player from the Kansas City Royals and Pittsburgh Pirates on the All-Star Team. If the 89th-best song by the Beatles is better than the best song ever done by 1910 Fruitgum Company, well, it is what it is.

2. Sly

Sly Active Member

I only skimmed so I may have missed some selections ... However I missed "Glad Tidings" by Van Morrison, "Runaround Sue" by Dion, two or three songs by The Association, "Last Train to Clarksdale" by The Monkees and about 20 Phil Spector songs. If you ask me, the entire top 20 could have been Spector songs ... though Good Vibrations was way too low.

Also, Stevie Wonder's songs should have been ranked much higher.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

But why even limit it on those completely imaginary terms? It's supposed to be the top 200 songs - not the top 200 songs parsed and handicapped so as to include the Kansas City Royals of songwriting.

On the other hand, if this leads to the 1910 Fruitgum Company playing the Pittsburgh Pirates in the All-Star Game, I'm all for it.

4. Sly

Sly Active Member

As I think about it further, "One Fine Day" might be the best song of the '60s.

Draft saved Draft deleted