1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pitchfork names its top 200 songs of the 1960s

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MankyJimy, Aug 18, 2006.

1. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/feature/37901/The_200_Greatest_Songs_of_the_1960s

What's your favorite song they left off the list?

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I dig the Beach Boys, but too much love for them. Some of Simon & Garfunkel's stuff should have been higher, as well as Jimi Hendrix and Elvis Presley.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Hit the Road Jack is the greatest 2 minute song ever written (it was No. 1 in 1962). The fact that it's not on the list, but Georgia On My Mind (a song Ray Charles didn't even write) is a little silly.

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Just like most top lists I've seen aorund, this one sucks.

Where the hell are The Doors?

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Where is "The Ballad of Jon Saraceno"

6. Gold

Gold Active Member

I have only seen 1 thru 20, but already this is ridiculous. You always wonder why editors don't look at some of these lists and say, "No, I'm not running this. You have "I Want You Back" by the Jackson 5 as number two? This is a joke. Get out of my office fast before I attack"

I know the purpose of this is to generate discussion and get people to read the article and click on ad websites or read a print ad. But "I Heard it Through The Grapevine" not being in the top 20. Unacceptable

7. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Fuck, the "Doctor Who" theme was in the 40s ahead of Hendrix's version of "All Along the Watchtower" and all these other tunes. Gimmie a damn break

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Overall, I thought they did a decent job of getting the right songs on the list.

I liked seeing "Can't Explain" "The Weight" and "Gimme Shelter" in the top 20.

Thought "Whole Lotta Love" at 53 and "You Really Got Me"  at 88 stood out as too low

The Beatles are seriously under-represented here--probably could have 20-30 songs on this list. Would have liked to have seen "Hello, Goodbye" and "Magical Mystery Tour". Big miss on ""Ticket to Ride"

And maybe I missed it, or perhaps it's a 70s song (although I don't think so), but they left off a top tenner in "Jumpin' Jack Flash".

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Some wacky calls in the top 20, but I can't argue too hard about God Only Knows being No. 1 (I would have put Hey Jude).

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

If there's one song that wraps up the 60s, it's "Incense and Peppermints." Or "Hey Joe," because every act that recorded in the 60s recorded it (and I include Zappa's extremely bastardized version of it).

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Dools, good call on "Hey Jude." Honestly, I would have put "A Day in the Life" at the top here.

But really, there's no excuse for not having a Beatles song as the No. 1 for the 1960s. I mean, I dig the Beach Boys too, but this is like saying that somebody other than Tiger Woods is the greatest golfer of the 2000s.

I do like Johnny Cash at No. 8. That's a great spot for "Folsom," and also I'll give some love to Bob Dylan here because "Like A Rolling Stone" is definitely a top-fiver for me.

But the top three, sheesh ... none of those are even in my top 10. ::)

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

The only thing worse than the list itself is the writing in the entries that accompany it.

The dead language of the museum; the hollow noisemaking of 25 year-old grad school curators trying to fill the little space next to the great painting; the textural somnolence of the blah, blah, blah juxtaposed against the tension of the yak, yak, yak.

Yikes.

Draft saved Draft deleted