1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pit Bulls at Vick's Property - buried?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 93Devil, Apr 27, 2007.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Where is this running in your papers or on your tv stations?

It was buried in region news where I am at, and I am in Virginia.

Peta, Tech, thug-life, NFL front-line player... I think all the hot buttons are there.

Is there no decent art for this? Why is not above the fold or at least page-one sports?

Are details still being compiled? I mean if he owns 25 houses then I can see, but if this was one of the two or three properties he owns, he had to of had knowledge of what is going on.

I am just typing out loud trying to figure this out.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

:D

That being said, news side is handling this at our paper.

3. 93Devil

Interesting because there is a small, but real, chance he could get banned from the NFL is the chips fall the wrong way. I read a quote from The Sporting News in an AP story that he mentioned trying to start breeding pit bulls back in 2001.

I have a feeling there is a lot of fire behind this smoke.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Did the dogs have herpes?

5. lono

lono Active Member

No, but they were named "Ron" and "Mexico." Oh, yeah, and "Marcus," too.

6. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

I believe one, maybe two, Tidewater papers ran it A1.

Outside of them, every daily in the state should've had it on the sports cover.

7. The international conspiracy to protect Michael Vick is working overtime tonight.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

From the fine Virginian-Pilot in Norfolk, which is handling the story with a non-sports reporter:

Vick owns the 15-acre property. A sheriff's deputy said Thursday that the former Virginia Tech star was not the focus of the probe.

Did the rush to judgment on the water bottle not teach us anything? We want so badly to convict this guy of something? Yes, it is a story. Hell, such an apparent den of dog fighting is a story even if some average Joe owns the place. But let's not fry Michael Vick just yet, eh?

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Outside of virginia, a brief or part of an NFL notes package, unless something actually comes down on Vick.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I think it was in the "who cares" section of the papers i read.

11. 93Devil

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2851640

"While the quarterback insisted he was not involved in dog fighting, he has shown an interest in breeding pit bulls.

In a 2001 profile by The Sporting News, he revealed having a pit bull that already had produced one litter and said he was trying to start a breeding kennel.

"There's more to me than people might think," he said at the time."

Those were the last few graphs of the story.

Some media outlet will beat everyone to the punch on this one. There is a story here... and a really good one.

Draft saved Draft deleted