1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pit Bull Problem

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HeinekenMan, Jul 14, 2007.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

For more than an hour, some dogs have been barking at the house diagonal from mine. It's not uncommon, but it's never been like this. I finally reached the point that I couldn't think. So I called the sheriff's office.

About five minutes ago, a deputy rang my bell to tell me that there are two pit bulls on posts in the yard. They also have a cage there, which is where the dogs are usually held.

I had no idea that these dogs were pit bulls. There is no fence between my house and the dogs. My children play in my back yard. Now I'm scared to let them out there. Just a week ago, some guy's dog mauled his mother-in-law, who died before paramedics could reach her.

Does anyone know how I can deal with this situation? The deputy clearly didn't want to become involved. He said the people weren't home and that I'd have better luck if I called animal control. I want the dogs out of there. I'm tired of this. The same family walks through my yard to get to their house every day. I've repeatedly told the kids not to do it, and now they do it right in front of me and make remarks.

Part of the reason I've never approached the parents is that they're clearly deadbeat scum. If I owned a damned gun, I just might blast the two mutts.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Why haven't you built a fence? Is it not possible or too expensive? You could just put up a chain-link fence, I don't think those cost that much.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Call animal control. If the dogs lack proper shelter, food or water, they'll be able to do something.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Are they hungry? [/Michael Vick]

5. KG

KG Active Member

A fence is about your only option right now. Until they have hurt someone, there's nothing animal control will do either (unless the conditions are poor as sc suggested).

6. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Ron Mexico reportedly knows a thing or two about teaching pit bulls a lesson.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

That's not true. There are disturbance laws in every state.
    Have your neighbors fill out the "disturbance" form at Animal Control. They're usually available as pdf versions online. The only way to get people's attention is through their pocketbook. A few fines will get them to notice.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

There is not much you can do unless the town has a noise ordinance. Most likely if they do it only has probvisions for dog barking late at night.

If there is a pen you might be able to go after them from zoning perspective if it does not meet set backs.

Otherwise there is not much you can do - but dam I would not let my kids play outside until this is resolved.

9. KG

KG Active Member

It must just be my local animal control that sucks. I finally got them to do a little "drive by" of the area once when this dog that had already killed another dog in the neighborhood was in my back yard.

I called them and told them I couldn't just stop taking my dog out to potty because of a vicious dog that roams the neighborhood. Then I told them I had already confirmed that I would not be arrested for discharging a firearm if I, or my dog that was next to me, was being attacked by another dog.

About an hour later they slowly drove by, but still didn't bother to stop.

10. Rat poison.

Food dish.

Seriously.

Just make sure their kids don't eat the dogs' food. (Unless you're really serious about them walking through your yard.)

11. KG

KG Active Member

Aw WB that's just awful. What if they are noisy but nice dogs. I personally HATE pitbulls, because I have been bitten by one, but I know they aren't all evil.

I do think that every dog that has been trained to be a fighter needs to be put down, regardless of breed, because it's not worth taking the chance of trusting them again.

But all dogs should be kept behind a fence or indoors at all times. It's not fair to everyone else to have to worry about other people's dogs.

12. I'm an animal lover, too, KG - and I don't blame the dogs. But if it's those dogs vs. my kid I'm going to nip that in the bud.

Draft saved Draft deleted