1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pistons pick up Flip Murray

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chuck~Taylor, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2520208

A nice, solid pick up by the Pistons. Murray helps a horrible Detroit bench. They lost may of lost Big Ben, but at least their bench got better.

PS Jason Maxiell is playing great in the summer leagues. He could help them out too.

2. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Without knowing anything else about this (I'm drunk in Toronto and didn't read the story), I'm sorry to see Flip leave the Cavaliers. I really liked him in Cleveland. Oh well, I'm sure he'll do a superb job in Detroit (beating Cleveland next season with his perimeter shooting) ...

3. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

When you REALLY look at it, don't you think that the Pistons actually had a pretty good off season? They lost Big Ben, but if he would've came back, they would've been over paying him. So they go out and get Nazr Mohammed, who is a decent low post player and shoots 78% from the line(much better than the 40 something that Ben was shooting), and Flip Murray who can shoot AND drive, which is what Detroit was lacking last season. And going back to what I said in the last post, Jason Maxiell is really looking good in the summer league. I think Joe Dumars has done it again.

4. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Flip Murray was a nice fill-in for the Cavs once Larry Hughes went down with his thumb injury, and acquiring him could have very well been the difference between the Cavs just making the playoffs and securing home court in the first round.

That said, Murray was a liability in the Detroit series. He shot 21.8 percent from the floor and 16.7 percent from 3-point range.

Murray might fit in well with a more veteran-oriented team like Detroit, where he probably won't have as big a role. But as long as Shannon Brown isn't a total bust, I don't think the Cavs will miss Flip at all.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

There are ways to make up what they lose with Ben. Sure, the defense, rebounding or blocks may not be quite as good.

But the Pistons gain so much more on the other side of the ball. They can actually run some offensive plays through the center.

6. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Don't really get it. Detroit still has one of the best PGs in the league in Billups, and Rip Hamilton is a top-tier SG.
    You're spending all that money on insurance for those 2?

Cause in the playoffs, Murray won't be playing more than 7-8 minutes a game.

East, to me, looks this way
    -Miami
    -New Jersey
    -Detroit
    -Cleveland
    -Chicago
    -<s>Knicks</s>Washington
    -Orlando
    -Toronto

sleeper: Charlotte (when healthy, Okafur, May, Morrison, Brevin Knight, Gerald Wallace isn't bad at all. Charlotte should have dealt Knight to Toronto for Mo Pete or possibly to Detroit for Carlos Delfino and a pick, but that's all too late).

ps - subject to change if Indy gets Al Harrington, or Iverson/KG are dealt to the East.

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

$1.8 million a year isn't a lot of money in the NBA. Decent insurance policy for little outlay. Good move.

Draft saved Draft deleted