1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pistons guard Rodney Stuckey passed out on court

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Mustang, they were reporting a seizure last night.

Waylon, I understand what you're saying. I'm sure the players may not have been completely into the game.
    The Wings had a player go down a few years ago in Jiri Fischer. They were doing chest compressions on the bench, but the game eventually continued. Fischer ended up having to retire.

Right or wrong, there probably is a show must go on mentality unless a player dies on the floor.

2. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Hank - they postponed the game after the Fischer incident, actually, and picked it up with the same score with the same time left at a later date.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Yea, I see that now. I googled it after I typed that. I didn't remember them postponing it.

They actually replayed all 60 minutes, but Nashville kept their 1-0 lead.

4. Smash Williams

I knew they kept the score but had forgotten/never realized they went to 60 minutes. I find that a little... odd, but I guess it would also be weird to have a 52 minute game or whatever it would have been.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

They stopped the game, if I remember correctly, because Fischer literally died on the bench.

They had to restart his heart.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The first time was in 1989 at a LMU home game.

I was wrong about thinking it happened at the Palestra

7. Smash Williams

Pet peeve of mine - Fischer had a potentially fatal arrhythmia, but they didn't have to restart his heart. They had to shock it back into a correct rhythm. It's impossible, I believe, to restart a heart that's completely stopped.

Fischer had a history of abnormal rhythms, as did Sergei Zholtok (who collapsed and died at a European league game).

I believe, though, it was originally reported as a seizure like this one.

8. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

The heart is a two stage electrical pump. An organized electrical impulse causes the heart muscle squeeze in a coordinated fashion.

Uncoordinated rhythms of the atrium or the upper chamber of the heart are not lethal as long as the ventricle (the lower chamber) continues to beat and squeeze blood to the rest of the body. Common upper chamber rhythm disturbances include atrial fibrillation and atrial flutter.

Uncoordinated rhythms of the lower chamber are life threatening. Ventricular fibrillation causes the ventricle to jiggle like a bowl of jello and with no contraction, no blood is sent to the body and brain. This is sudden death and there may be some muscle jerks that can mimic a seizure. The treatment for this rhythm is an electrical shock using a defibrillator.

There are a couple situations other situations that can cause sudden death. Electromechanical dissociation occurs where there is an electrical impulse but it does not generate a heartbeat; this may be associated with a variety of medical conditions inclduing collapsed lung, fluid accumulation around the heart, massive bleeding, poisonings and major electrolyte imbalances. Fixing the underlying problem in time may cause the heart to beat again.

Asystole is the term used when there is no electrical activity to the heart and therefore no heart beat. Medications and emergency pacemakers may restore a heartbeat.

Appreciate that the general public overestimates the success of CPR and cardiac resuscitation. Most people die but it is those with ventricular fibrillation who are shocked quickly who have the best chance of survival with minimal brian damage.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He had the collapse out West; The doppelganger of Gene Banks broke the news to his childhood friends in Philadelphia.

Draft saved Draft deleted