1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pistons coach Michael Curry... oops. Wait.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Jun 30, 2009.

1. NDub

NDub Guest

Well, 'Sheed is likely gone and so is Iverson. You got Rip there and if you want to call him a headcase then do it. He's proven to be tempermental (lots of techs) but he did come off the bench last year without a peep.

I read somewhere, I think a Drew Sharp column, that Joe D. wanted Austin Daye because of his high character. I guess that locker room was pretty bad last year. Quibble about taking a guy at No. 15 with character over talent, size and experience, but Joe D. will stand toe-to-toe with you on that. By the way, I didn't like the pick.

I read on Yahoo! Sports NBA Twitter feed (gasp!) a Joe D. quote that said he wanted a more experienced head coach and felt he put Curry in a tough spot because of his inexperience.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Ben Gordon is a poor man's Ben Gordon. He can't shoot either. Probably why the Stones want to offer him $11 million.

Except he was pissed about it - and openly questioned Curry who Rip thought was a shitty coach because he was also a shitty player. Rip's benching got Curry fired.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You mean the Ben Gordon that shoots 41% form 3 and averaged 21 points a game. Is this the guy you're saying can't shoot?

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Next coach? Gene Shue.

5. NDub

NDub Guest

The Twitter feed quote...

"Maybe I put too much on Mike as a first-year head coach,” Dumars told Yahoo! Sports on Tuesday afternoon. “As we continued to go through this transition, it became clear to me that we needed a more experienced coach at the helm.”

Also, directly from Adrian Wojo's story.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=ArguyE3U3NQWEyeA7w9dyw85nYcB?slug=aw-curryfired063009&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Don't be too sure. Dumars is entranced with Sheed's "veteran leadership," "competitive spirit" and "locker room presence." Otherwise, he would have been jettisoned about five years ago.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

8. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

Gordon can get hot, but once he does, the ball stops when it gets to him. That game where he dropped 40 on Boston he didn't have a single assist. I think he's a good player, but the team that gives him double-digits is stupid.

9. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Sounds like Kermit, I mean Avery Johnson, may be a candidate, according to ESPN.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

agreed, wouldn't pay anything close to that, but he can shoot.

11. Sp0rtScribe

Sp0rtScribe Member

I think what was said about Ben Gordon is hilarious, considering the only thing he CAN do is shoot.

12. Sp0rtScribe

Sp0rtScribe Member

Sticking to the topic, it's a shame because Dumars basically built Curry's grave by acquiring Iverson, a move that doomed the Pistons all by itself. Curry deserved at least one more season.

Draft saved Draft deleted